Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Globally unique identifiers - approach

James,

That approach seems appropriate for identifying things that occur at a specific time, e.g. Filing Identifiers, but do we need a timestamp for things that do not change often (e.g. FilingAssembly or FilingReview ID)?

  jim

From: Cusick, James [mailto:James.Cusick@wkglobal.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 12:41 PM
To: legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: John Greacen

John and all,

At the New Orleans meeting I agreed to propose an approach to generating globally unique identifiers. After searching around on this topic I would like to recommend using UUIDs as per the IETF DRAFT RFC. This approach requires NO global coordination.

Please see:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mealling-uuid-urn-05.txt

This RFC is currently in draft status and is based on Unique ID generation technique used in Open Software Foundation's Distributed Computing Environment. The RFC guarantees that ID's generated using the recommended algorithms will be unique across space and time.

This RFC specifies 4 algorithms to generate universally unique ID's.  The following subset is recommended for LegalXML standards:

  1. System timestamp up to a 100 nanoseconds

  2. MAC address of the machine where UUID is generated

  3. Use of Random or pseudo random numbers

Finally, the RFC contains C code sample on how to generate UUID's based on the generation algorithms listed above.
Please let me know what you think and how you would like to see this phrased within Blue.

Regards,
james