Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] On Implementation-Specific Data

Shane,

Using the approach of including local elements in the Court XML, I see 3 options:

1. The "implementationSpecificValue" element you propose.  I believe this violates the ISO 11179 and Federal XML Developer's Guide rules regarding using elements rather than attributes, and using meaningful, unambiguous object names with clear definitions. This would make Court Filing XML inconsistent with the GJXDM.

2. The "any" element - forget it, it's a non-starter.  It's bad, bad, bad for so many reasons including the security issues that Don mentioned.

3. Allowing implementations to use the standard GJXDM mechanism for adding local elements through cascading extensions.  We tried it for OXCI - it's doesn't work well for the reasons I already described.

I still believe locking down the Court Filing XML schema and allowing a separate message part with local elements or documents is the cleanest solution.

  jim

From: Shane.Durham@lexisnexis.com [mailto:Shane.Durham@lexisnexis.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 12:26 PM
To: legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org

>> each change to the schema forced them to go back and regenerate the complete set of Java objects.

This scenario might be a reasonable argument for why we would choose to use pre-defined 'implemetnationSepcificValue' structures in addition to (or instead of)  'any'-defined elements.

It's been awhile since I used object-from-schema generators, but I suspect they have issues with 'any' elements.

>> locking down the common (non-local) court filing elements in a normative GJXDM-compliant schema.
I feel that a flexible 'implementationSpecificValue' node could be considered as locked-down as any other GJXDM element.

>> By introducing both XML-specific and general extension mechanisms, we further complicate interoperability because different implementations may choose to support one mechanism rather than the other.

If we used 'message attachments' exclusively, the scenario you describe is not made any easier, since, without ANY guidance from 'blue', the format of implementation-specific values is *more* likely to differ between implementations.  Different implementations are more likely to select entirely different formats for their extensions.

However, if generic 'implementationSpecificValue' nodes were available, then, at the least, there *might* be some kind of semi-standard for the implementation-specific data.

That said, it is a moot point to discuss the advantage of one technique over another, with respect to interoperability among differing implementations.  The different implementations will probably have extensions that are entirely meaningless to one another.  That's why I keep calling it 'implementation-specific' values, eh?

>> The primary argument against the current proposal
I want to stress that I am not against the current proposal - except that it is defined as the *only* way to provide implementation-specific values.  Likewise, I would not want to see the proposed 'implementationSpecificValue' nodes as the *only* way to provide implementation-specific data.

There's a time and place when implementers will need to use BOTH approaches.

- Shane