Subject: land records

Through John Messing’s good offices, I have been in touch with John Jones, a vendor working in the electronic land records field and a prime mover in the development of XML standards by the Property Records Industry Association.  PRIA has published a DTD for electronic filing of land records and has a draft schema specification on its website.  It has an ongoing cooperative relationship with the Mortgage Industry Standards Maintenance Organization (MISMO), which develops XML standards for mortgage transactions.

Jones attended one of our TC meetings in Las Vegas a couple of years ago.  He is interested in having our TC join the cooperative relationship with PRIA and MISMO because of the need for interoperability between court records and county clerk land records.  For instance – the automatic transmission of court judgments relating to land to the land records maintained by the county clerk.

I told him that we do not have the resources for such a cooperative venture before the release of Court Filing Blue.  I promised to get back in touch with him after July 1.

In the meantime, I have become convinced that we should not include any language in our specification relating to non-court records filed in the offices of elected clerks of court.  Merely allowing the use of Court Filing Blue for other filings adds little value to the specification or its utility.  I do not believe that we should enter into the area of non-court records until we fully understand the field, its requirements, and the existing players and standards that are already in that space.

HCR 78 Box 23

Regina, New Mexico 87046

505-289-2164

505-289-2163 (fax)