Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] RE: On the Entity Seal in Court Filings

As I said, I don't really want to become a participant in this issue.

The hypothetical situation you describe sounds to me like part of the
initial filing process from filer to court DMS, so it would be in scope
by the definition I described below.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Messing [mailto:jmessing@law-on-line.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 4:02 PM
To: Clarke, Thomas
Cc: Nick Pope; legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org; Winters,Roger
Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] RE: On the Entity Seal in Court
Filings

Suppose the file goes through an infomediary, and at the end of the day
its file is different from the court's in that one has a "not" that the
other lacks. If the infomediary using entity seals, like Dallas does,
and the court does not, will we turn a blind eye to the filer and say
too bad? It was just out of scope?

Filings

> I thank Roger for his comments but I think in all fairness the
proposal
> is not mine. A group of us including Dallas Powell, Nick Pope and I
> were asked to put the matter in a form that the committee could
> consider. I believe that I can only take a small portion of the credit
> for it.
>
> I think Roger's views are court-centric and come from experience with
> paper. A problem with electronic records is that they can be accessed
> and changed in undetectable ways, which is not true of paper.
> Therefore, when he suggests that one simply open the file and read it
> to see if has changed, a question immediately is presented --how do we
> know it is the authentic file, and that it has not been altered?. The
> fact that it has been stored in the court is certainly better than if
> it was not under the custody of the clerk but being in the custody of
> court system or clerk no longer has the same assurance of
infallibility
> as with paper. Electronic documents are simply constructs of one and
> zeroes that are interpreted by machines to display a particular
result.
> If we pretend otherwise, then we risk destroying the credibility of
> legal records and the authority of the courts. Fortunately, this is
> avoidable if we prudently adopt technical means that help determine if
> the ones and zeros have changed.
>
> Roger's position is a little like saying we will never need geiger
> counters in courts because everyone knows that they are not
susceptible
> to radiation.
>
> A problem with relying solely upon hash values is that they can be
> substituted if one has access to a system in order to substitute the
> true hash with the hash of an altered file. With an altered file and
> its own unique hash, a risk is presented that an altered document will
> pass as authentic, even if it has been altered. Once hashes are
> encrypted, the situation is different. One can no longer simply
> substitute a new hash. An additional layer of difficulty has been
> introduced, which requires also obtaining a unique key, that provides
> considerable level of increased protection.
>
> No one has suggested to my knowledge that a tamper-evident seal will
> supplant the laws of evidence. On the contrary, such devices are a way
> to determine the state and technical properties of evidence. But human
> decision makers, in this case judges, will have the final say.
>
> It is better to be safe than sorry, particularly where court records
are
> concerned. And properly constructed applications will not complicate
the
> work of clerks. They should act transparently.
>
> My two cents.

Requirements

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/legalxml-courtfiling/downlo