Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] New Proposed Service Models for ECF3

Title: Please review 'Proposed Service Models for ECF3'
Shane,

John and Tom have asked to brin our discussion around service to a close.  Here's my response to your comments:

1. I agree.

2. I like your diagrams - let's use them.  However,...

3. I think your distinction between MDEs and applications actually confuses more than explains.  In your model, a request comes from an application but the response to that request is returned to an MDE.

Jim Cabral

James E. Cabral Jr.
MTG Management Consultants, L.L.C.
1111 Third Avenue, Suite 2700
Seattle, WA 98101-3201
(206) 442-5010
www.mtgmc.com

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

From: Shane.Durham@lexisnexis.com [mailto:Shane.Durham@lexisnexis.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 10:46 AM
To: legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org

1. I have attached my comments to the eServiceFlow description distributed by Dallas.

The gist of my comments are that the system does not need to explicitly identify when a service hub has been implemented.

Aside from that discrepancy, I think Dallas and I are largely on the same page.

2. I have attached diagrams to illustrate how I see the ServiceFlow, with and without the use of a Service hub.

My view does not differ all that much from Dallas's view.

3. The diagrams also attempt to illustrate a prior statement I made concerning how we define our MDEs.

During last week's conference call, I said that our MDEs are defined by the messages they receive, rather than the messages they transmit.

I think that recognizing this distinction will help some of our members understand how a Service Hub, implementing a ServiceMDE, can exist independently of a corresponding FilingAssemblyMDE.

In the diagrams, please note that my 'arrow-heads' (the function call's destination) all lead into an MDE.
However, the 'line tips' (the function calls' origination) all begin at an 'Application'.

There are times when we have previously said:
xxMDE transmits a message to yyMDE

When, it would have been more accurate to have said:
XxxApplication transmits a message, via the yyMDE, to YyyApplication.

For example:
Filer's application transmits a ReviewFiling message, via the ReviewFilingMDE, to the court's ReviewFiling application.

I am not necessarily advocating that we must always substitute the word 'application' anytime we are talking about the initiator of a function call.   I only enter into this discussion so that we really understand how or MDEs are defined, and, to better understand how ServiceMDE and FilingAssemblyMDE can be independently implemented.

- Shane Durham
LexisNexis