Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Review of comments on domain models, GJXDM mapping, and schemas - POLICY

On the subject of Policy:
My biggest disagreement with the current proposal, is the concept of a PolicyMDE.
I feel that it just doesn't fit well into our MDE concept (it least, not my view of the MDE concept).

Why? Unlike our other MDEs, PolicyMDE would not strongly represent a real world process.
There are no foreseeable transactional interactions for PolicyMDE, there are no clearly identifiable users, we have no storyboards... etc etc.

You might not agree with that view.. but, that's ok.  I am only explaining my thoughts.
Read on.

I think that others' biggest disagreement with my proposal (one policy per MDE) , is that, as a practical matter, they do not foresee any MDE-specific policy for CourtRecord vs FilingReview vs Service, etc.    They do not want to define a placeholder for those policies which have not yet been identified (or might not ever be identified).  That's a very fair criticism.

So, here's a compromise:
  • Let's say that, for ECF 3.0, we define just one source of policy.
  • Let's say that the source of policy is the FilingReviewMDE.
  • Let's define that source as FilingReview.GetPolicy().
  • Let's nix PolicyMDE

I think that approach resolves my biggest issue.
And, since it includes a single source of policy, it resolves others' multi-policy issue as well.

Since the FilingReviewMDE/application is the one component that is most likely to be present in every electronic filing system, it will be reliably available to host the Policy set.  And, to be  honest, almost all of the polices we have ever discussed are, in fact, strongly related to the FilingReview process anyway.

Is this approach acceptable for ECF 3.0?
- Shane Durham
LexisNexis