Subject: FW: [legalxml-courtfiling] Groups - ECF 3.0 XML Signature Profile WD (legalxmlcourtfiling-ecf-v3.0-xmlsig-spec-wd.doc) uploaded

Apologies for the late submission but I have the following comment on this signature profile.

1) SignedDate defined in this profile already exist as SigningTime in the ETSI Specification TS 101 933 (http://pda.etsi.org/pda/home.asp?wki_id=D1D9dRmxtkBDBGEEDkxEm) which has also been published as a W3C note (http://www.w3.org/TR/XAdES/) for which electronic signature implementations exist.  This element is specifically defined for supporting the non-repudiation threat identified.

This existing SigningTime element places the time within the <SignedSignatureProperties> element within the existing <ds:Object> element.  This approach specifically designed for such extensions to signatures, to avoid the necessity to define new signature types than defining a new type of signature.

2) It is strongly recommended that rather than definining a new type of signature the same approach is taken with other signature properties that may be considered necessary for court filing.  W3C, ETSI and OASIS DSS are adopting this approach as a means of assigning new properties to XML Signatures.  Defining a new SignatureType element for each variation of electronic signatures will lead to fragmentation of solutions in this area.  I am happy to assist the editor in completing the technical details.

3) It is not clear what the role of SignerName.  If X.509 based signatures are to be employed then this is already given in the signing certificates.  If the two names (X.509 certified name and SignerName) exist which is to be taken to be the real name?  If they are different abiguity will exist.

Nick