Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Charter: Mention Marked-Up Documents

I think the needs of lawyers need to acknowledged. The filings for them
are ways to influence a judge's or jury's decision. If they feel put
into a strait-jacket for extraneous reasons, they may feel that
electronic filing is an obstacle, rebel and complain to the judges. A
way to prevent such an outcome, which I think would be disasterous for
electronic court filing, is to assure that free-form of argument is
available somewhere within a document. It may not even be persistent
data from the perspective of the court administration, but it is a
matter of record and will require preservation nontheless. It could be
stored as a single blob or as some kind of character data. But it will
need to be included, to avoid real trouble, IMHO.