Subject: Appellate Filing domain model

ECF TC:

Here is the current appellate filing domain model for inclusion in ECF 4.0 which has been developed and vetted with a group of appellate SMEs primarily from Arizona.  We are currently looking for vetting with SMEs representing other jurisdictions but I think it is enough to start mapping to NIEM for ECF 4.0.

This approach has several implications for the ECF 4.0 core:

1.       Most appellate filings, other than comments/proposals on changing court rules, require information on case lineages (cases in lower courts).  ECF 3.x supports maps prior cases to a GJXDM Case type that does not include the ECF extensions to case.  In ECF 4.0, I am proposing changing this mapping to include all ECF extensions to Case types in the complete case lineage.  That will enable, for example, extended case participants and documents metadata to be included from prior cases.

2.       ECF 3.x only supports one case-type-specific message per filing.  In order to support, for example, criminal-specific information at the trial court level, and appellate-specific information at the appellate level, I propose that ECF 4.0 support multiple case-type-specific messages per filing.

Jim Cabral

James E. Cabral Jr.
MTG Management Consultants, L.L.C.
(206) 442-5010
www.mtgmc.com

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

ECF-4.0-NIEM-mapping.xls

ECF-4.0-ExchangeContentModel.zargo

AppellateFiling.gif