Subject: Next conference call Nov. 9--LegalXML Electronic Court Filing TC--are youavailable?

Folks, our next scheduled conference call is November 9 at Noon Eastern time.  Based on the messages passing on the list lately, it looks like we have some significant issues to address.  Please advise if you are unavailable for this conference call so that it can be rescheduled if needed.

Call in information:
Dial-in number: (218) 339-2699
Access code:  529192

Robin Gibson, PMP
Court Automation Manager
Information Technology Divsion
Office of State Courts Administrator
573-751-4377
----- Forwarded by Robin Gibson/OSCA/Courts/Judicial on 10/28/2010 08:18 AM -----

From:        Laurent M Liscia <laurent.liscia@oasis-open.org>
To:        legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc:        Board Plus <board-plus@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        10/22/2010 05:33 PM
Subject:        [legalxml-courtfiling] More background on Board decision regarding LegalXML Member Section funds

Dear members of the Legal XML community,
Here's some clarification of the Board's decision to require that the Legal XML Steering Committee present a reasonable plan justifying the continued existence of the Member Section. I can't answer all the points that were discussed on the list, but I can definitely address your concerns by giving you the background on the decision. My role as Executive Director is to serve, among other things, as an ombudsman, and I'm happy to do so in this matter.

Let me begin by saying that the decision is by no means a reflection on the extraordinary work that has taken place in this community. We are all proud of the LegalXML Member Section and its diverse and far-reaching work.

For a while now, the Steering Committee of the Member Section has explored what to do with the Member Section since by all indications, the work under its roof has reached its conclusion. There were two proposals discussed with OASIS staff and the relevant parties. I'm truly sorry you were not aware of these proposals, although I find it curious that this information did not find its way into the community:

1. The first proposal was to merge with eGov. There were discussions
with John Borras, who chairs the eGov Member Section Steering
Committee, but it was hard to map the shared goals of the two groups
and how a single steering committee would be structured to serve both
constituencies well.  John  has expressed disappointment over that
turn of events and is amenable to re-opening the discussion.

2. The second proposal was to wind down the Member Section--which is
very different than "eliminating TCs" dormant or otherwise. LegalXML,
for years,  had many TCs and several very different constituencies
(the legal publishing "800# gorillas, ABA, courts) to coordinate and
balance.  This all made the overhead of the Member Section and
Steering Committee a great investment--for OASIS and the members
involved.  Now with most of those TCs successfully completed, and two of
those different constituencies retired from LegalXML, it *could* be
that there is not sufficient need for that Member Section and Steering
Committee overhead - recognizing that the TCs would of course
continue. And to be clear - the concern is the overhead on members who
must sit on the SC, and participate at another level in addition to
their TC work.  Jim, while you and your TC were actively doing your
work the Steering Committee seemed to struggle to see their work as
necessary--as demonstrated by the difficulty in the Committee meetings
quorate or even people to fill open positions on the SC.  While
sunsetting the MS is possible, the remaining SC members are working
hard to find new energy both internally and in a larger audience.
You'll see evidence of that with their commitment to an event  focused
on a LegalXML event that will take place at Stanford University in
November.  OASIS is supporting that event with a presentation by the
OASIS Chairman of the Board.  If that effort is successful we will of
course welcome the continued long-term participation from folks at the
MS and SC level.  If folks prefer to focus their energies on their TC
work, that too is perfectly acceptable.

I conveyed all the information above to the Board of Directors to the very best of my recollection and with supporting documents. Please remember that each director has fiduciary responsibility and that LegalXML has a budget. I think the concern was and remains that, other than the Stanford panel, there is no actual plan to attract new members to the community, nor is there one to generate new work. The conclusion is that the funds available to the section will either remain unspent, or will be spent on activities that do not dovetail  with its mission. That is exactly what prompted the Board's decision. As you can see, this is not a lack of oversight, but, on the contrary, a case of preventative oversight.

My own recommendation, and it is strictly mine (not the Board's), is that, as the Stanford panel suggests, there is a natural alignment between eGov and LegalXML. eGov has exciting new work in transformational government, and the legal dimension is clear. This would be an ideal way to add value to the LegalXML specifications.

In addition, if the member section's steering committee feels that it ought to continue, as a separate viable entity, then your next task is to provide for its continuity and future. Your rules of procedures require a minimum number of active StC members, and periodic elections, and we're happy to work with you on this. As for funding, the Board only has frozen the funds for lack of activity; the StC is welcome to present a plan for staff to carry back to them, describing a planned path forward. As we told the StC members last month, OASIS staff is ready and happy to work with them, if you've made the fundamental decision that a continued, viable separate member section makes sense.

Alternatively, not only is there no shame in declaring victory and winding down the Member Section. In this case, your track record of TCs and published work speaks for itself. The standards will continue to be appreciated and used by thousands in the legal community and beyond. If there is no forward plan for activity and growth of the section, as a section, then we should wind it down in an appropriate, polite way. That's distinct from and does not reflect on the plans and viability of LegalXML TCs, which operate under a whole different rule set.
I hope this sheds some light on the Board's decision and has calmed the unnecessary fires of controversy.

Perhaps it is time for the LegalXML community to engage in dialogue with its Steering Committee.

Finally, I apologize for not sending this sooner, but literally just returned to my desk from Europe then the East Coast today.

Very best regards,
Laurent Liscia, Executive Director, OASIS

--
Laurent Liscia, Executive Director
1-978-667-5115, extension 201

Take a tour of OASIS at: http://www.oasis-open.org/home/tour.php