Subject: Re: [legalxml-courtfiling] RE: CaseParticipantRoleCode

I completely agree.

Barb

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 22, 2017, at 7:02 PM, Graham, Gary <GGraham@courts.az.gov> wrote:

I believe all members of the subcommittee would recommend the ecf:CaseOtherParty option to be used when the litigant’s role in the case (e.g. plaintiff, crossdefendant, etc.) does not well fit any of the current three party elements. I do not think a party would need to have both, but I am not sure what you mean by “also map those litigants”.

So if the entity is a case party (e.g. litigant), and the elements j:CaseDefendantParty, j:CaseInitiatingParty, or j:CaseRespondentParty are not appropriate per the definitions for those elements, then ecf:CaseOtherParty would be used. This case party would not have both ecf:CaseOtherParty and j:CaseInitiatingParty (or j:CaseDefendantParty or j:CaseResondentParty) and would not also have CaseOtherEntity.

Jim or Barbara,  if you think otherwise, please chime in.

Gary Graham

From: legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of James E Cabral
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 3:14 PM
To: Graham, Gary <GGraham@courts.az.gov>; legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org

Thanks to the subcommittee.  After reviewing the draft, I think we can distill the entirety of it down to 3 things:

  1. A rule in the specification that attorneys and judges MUST be represented as Persons while litigants and other participants MAY be represented as Persons, Organizations or Items.
  2. A mapping in Genericode (or the specification) of the role elements contained in j:CaseAugmentation to allowable CaseParticipantRoleCodes.
  3. A rule in the specification that CaseParticipantRoleCode SHOULD be provided whenever a generic participant role element (j:CaseJudge, j:CaseOfficial or j:CaseOtherEntity) is used.

See my attached spreadsheet which builds out the committee’s suggested role codes and maps them to each of the role elements currently in the specification.  This looks very doable.

However, I have an important question for the subcommittee.  Note that if we map “Other” participants to j:CaseOtherEntity,  we do not currently have a role specific to litigants other than j:CaseDefendantParty, j:CaseInitiatingParty and j:CaseRespondentParty.  Should we also map those litigants to j:CaseOtherEntity or should we create another role such as ecf:CaseOtherParty?

__
Jim Cabral
502 509-4532