Subject: RE: ECF 5: CaseGeneralCategoryText, CaseCategoryText, and CaseSubCategoryText

Jim,

I believe the CaseCategoryCode.gc will work for Arizona, but before committing to a definitive answer, I have a couple of questions that require clarification.  Perhaps a gc primer is in order…

  1. Each of the “attributes” (or elements) associated with CaseCategoryCode (i.e., CaseType, CaseCategory, CaseSubCategory, and CaseSubType) appear to indicate they are required (Use=”required”).  In reality, not all of these “attribute values” are required.  Does “Use=required” mean that “attribute” or element values that have no value to communicate must be present but empty in XML messages?
  2. From a Court Policy perspective, must each CaseCategoryCode “attribute” or element value be pre-defined?  In other words, based on the table below, if a message contains ‘Non-IV-D’ in the element representing CaseCategoryCode, does this mean that we would know, without having any of the other “attribute” or element values contained in the table, that CaseType is ‘FamilyLaw’, CaseCategory is ‘Domestic Relations’, CaseSubCategory is ‘Dissolution with Children’, and CaseSubtype is ‘Non-IV-D’?

CaseCategoryCode

Definition

CaseType

CaseCategory

CaseSubCategory

CaseSubtype

Civil Penalty

Civil Penalty

Civil Penalty

Civil Penalty

Contract, Civil Penalty

Non-IV-D

Non-IV-D for both Dissolution and Paternity

FamilyLaw

Domestic Relations

Dissolution with Children

Non-IV-D