Subject: Re: [legalxml-econtracts] Thinking about information models

    Hello all.  Dave's comment points up a fundamental issue in our space.
    As Rolly said, theoretically one can dismiss the physical model as a trivial problem and rely on transforms.  In fact you can view any of the layers Dave describes (below) as a trivial production from another one.  In theory.
    But in real life transforms are nontrivial.  In software, roundtrip transforms today -- XMI and the like, and managed code generators generally -- are not always as reliable as we might hope.
    As practicing lawyers, we see analogous problems daily:
        -- multi-language written contracts with which-one-is-definitive issues;
        -- B2B software that executes on business object models that prove  woefully nonisomorphic to the modeled reality;
        -- content taxonomies that by reason of logical flaws overlook or mischaracterize important data;
and so on.
    In advising clients I insist on knowing which representation of a contract is the definitive instantiation.   Always.  None of this "heh, the OO representation is just as good", unless the object model is unambiguous and is the designated tiebreaker artifact -- because I get paid to ship certainty (or at least an expert assessment of its availability).
    So I am chary about simultaneous parallel representations without a clear provision for resolving inter-schema conflicts.  I am enthusiastic about Dave's view, but for that reason think it needs to be approached with caution.

Best regards    Jamie