Subject: Legal Markup - the way forward

Hi

I thought it might be helpful if i summarised on the list an amalgam of
what was said in the last teleconf as to how we might move forward and
some additional thoughts.

1. We will pursue, in parallel, efforts to standardise the "Structural
Markup" and the "Legal Markup".  This is possible as these are independent.

2. The "Structural Markup" is our model of paragraph/clause structure.
The aim is to model the paragraph/clause structure as it appears in a
typical contract.  We haven't formalised the process for delivering an
agreed model for "Structural Markup", except to say that the
next-but-one TC teleconf (9 April 2003) will aim to resolve the debate
between hierarchical (eg Article-Section-.. or Part-Clause-Subclause)
and recursive models (eg Clause contains Clause recursively).

3. The "Legal Markup" is the information inside the clauses which is
needed by some or all of the scenarios.  We need to get to the point
where we have a consolidated document which identifies, for each piece
of legal information we want to capture:
- descriptive name;
- which scenarios it is important to;
- why it is important to markup this information;
- what the various aspects/facets need to be represented (any
differences in what is required by the various scenarios is to be
highlighted).

We can then devise appropriate markup for the information items in the
consolidated document.  To get there:

(a)  We need a suggested format which can be filled in for
each item of legal information - I'll post a suggestion shortly,
completing it for one or more the items which are required for the
"Enterprise Contract Management" scenario
(b)  TC members are to congregate around the scenarios which are of
interest to them, and help the scenario author to flesh out the
necessary material for each information item required by that scenario.
     Revised scenarios to be published to the mailing list as they are
completed. It is envisaged that there will be considerable overlap
between the scenarios, so it may be possible to avoid rework by
referencing a description already available in one of the other scenarios.
(c)   The next TC teleconference (26 March) will be used to
discuss/clarify the process set out in this step3, and set some target
dates. Item (b) may have started by this time, but probably
won't yet be complete.
(d)   Publish consolidated document of information items
(e)   Analyse/discuss consolidated document
(f)   Proposals for markup, on mailing list/teleconf/ face to face
(especially for extension mechanism)?

Lets discuss further on the list and in the next teleconf.

cheers,

Jason