Subject: Clause Model - draft FAQs for discussion

As Dan's draft minutes from the last teleconf record, we agreed to move
forward with a "hierarchical named block" model, the top three levels of
which were: Article, Section, Paragraph.  Before committing to it, we
want to allow some time to see whether there are drawbacks to this
approach which we have overlooked so far.

In the same spirit, please find attached for discussion a document in
the FAQ style, which seeks to communicate my understanding of where we
are at.

cheers,

Jason

Title: Contracts XML Clause Model - Frequently Asked Questions
OASIS eContracts TC Resources FAQs Contracts XML Clause Model - FAQs

Contracts XML Clause Model - FAQs

Draft 1 (13 April 2003) - for Discussion Purposes Only

Table of Contents

  1. What is a clause model?
  2. Why is a standardised clause model important?
  3. What are the goals of your clause model?
  4. What does the clause model look like?
  5. I don't see 'clause' anywhere in the clause model?
  6. What does it mean to me, a contract author?
  7. Why/how did you choose 'Article'?
  8. What is the difference between 'Paragraph' and 'paragraph'?
  9. What? I don't use 'article'!
  10. So consistency is important, is it?
  11. There is no way I'll play along with 'Articles'
  12. What does this clause model simplify?
  13. What word processor should I use?
  14. The developers are asking why you didn't use a 'recursive' model?

  1. What is a clause model?

    A clause model is a description of the structure represented by the paragraphs of text found in the body of a contract.

    Those paragraphs have natural parent-, child-, sibling or other relationships to each other, which a clause model ought to reflect. These relationships are traditionally reflected in the clause numbering and layout (indentation) on the page.

    Our clause model is expressed in an XML schema language, so XML aware tools can be used to manipulate contracts marked up in accordance with it.

  2. Why is a standardised clause model important?

    You need a clause model if you are going to use XML technologies to draft and edit contracts, which is something people currently mostly use non-XML aware word processors to do.

    A clause model is necessary if XML technologies are to deliver what people already do today with other tools.

    A standardised clause model is desirable to realise the vision of people using a variety of XML tools provided by different vendors to draft, edit and otherwise work with contracts in XML. It is essential if people are to be able to work with one another's contracts, without needing to convert them first for use with a different tool set.

    "Legal" markup will build on the structure provided by our standard clause model.

  3. What are the goals of your clause model?

    There are several:

    • To be able to represent the clauses found in the vast majority of written contracts
    • To be no more complex than is necessary to adequately represent that structure
    • To be easy for people to understand
    • When used in conjunction with appropriate stylesheet, to enable the clauses to be rendered in a familiar human readable form, numbered as one might expect

  4. What does the clause model look like?

    The levels in the hierarchy are named as follows:

    • <Article>
      • <Section>
        • <Paragraph>
          • <SubParagraph>
            • <Sub2Paragraph>
              • <Sub3Paragraph>
                • etc

    (Open question: should we use abbreviations like "Para" and "SubPara" instead?)

    A DTD for the current draft of the clause model will be found on the mailing list (not yet though). The intent is that the authoritative copy will eventually be a W3C Schema, but for now, we're using a DTD.

    We haven't worked out how to model the bits of a contract that typically come before or after the clauses, that is, the part which identifies the parties, the background to the transaction, or where the parties sign (often called the execution blocks), but we'll do that in due course.

  5. I don't see 'clause' anywhere in the clause model?

    That's correct. Lawyers use the word 'clause' and words like 'sub-clause' to refer to various different things. To avoid this confusion, we have abstained from using <Clause> entirely.

  6. What does it mean to me, a contract author?

    If means that if you are using a word processor or XML editor with a reveal-codes feature which allows you to see the XML element name tags which surround your paragraphs of text, you will see tags for <Article>, <Section>, <Paragraph> <SubParagraph> etc.

  7. Why/how did you choose 'Article'?

    From a technical perspective, the element names are just labels, which software can manipulate. We could have chosen any distinct name for each the various levels. Having said that, it is useful to choose labels which it is easy for people (hopefully many) to relate to.

    Before choosing this terminology, we looked at contracting practices in various communities around the world. In particular, we looked at the words which are actually used in contracts - in headings, in cross references, and in interpretation clauses.

    What we found is that while certain words like clause, article, section, paragraph, sub-paragraph, subparagraph, sub-clause, sub-article, and item often show up, there is no consistency to what words are used in what contracts. In fact, few (if any) law firms even use the terminology consistently themselves across the contracts they produce!

    We chose the Article, Section, Paragraph hierarchy, because it is quite familiar to a large number of lawyers, especially north American lawyers.

    In some other countries, every paragraph is referred to as a clause. This suggests a so-called 'recursive' model may be desirable. However, for reasons given elsewhere in this FAQ, a hierarchy with distinct names for each level is to be preferred.

  8. What is the difference between 'Paragraph' and 'paragraph'?

    Mere convention. Where a word like that is capitalised, it refers to an XML element name. Where it appears in lower case, it is used in a more general sense.

  9. What? I don't use 'article'!

    You don't need to worry, since the word 'Article' won't be visible in the text of your contract, unless you put it there.

    The word 'Article' is only used in the XML element names, which neither you nor your clients need ever see. You don't need to see it, because you can choose a word processor or XML editor which is programmed to display your own preferred terminology instead.

  10. So consistency is important, is it?

    Absolutely. Unless people around the World use the same element names for the different levels of clauses in their contracts, contracts drafted in one country won't be able to be opened in the tools used in another, not without conversion anyway.

    This argument applies with even greater force within any given community of contracting parties.

  11. There is no way I'll play along with 'Articles'

    Okay then .. If you insist that the only standard you will use is one that uses your own terminology for the element names, and you can find a lot of other people who also use that terminology, and you believe there are compelling reasons for supporting your terminology in the standard (ie tool support for your terminolgy is not enough), then please let us know. We will consider your ideas for a future version of our standard.

  12. What does this clause model simplify?

    Three things, mainly.

    First, it uses terminology which a lot of lawyers already use, so less training will be needed. We expect other lawyers will readily adapt to it. Because the hierarchy is simple (one term per level) and strict (a term can only be used at the appropriate level), lawyers are spared a bewildering range of unnecessary elements when drafting.

    Second, the XML reflects natural document structure. So when a lawyer editing a contract moves an Article from one place to another, the editing application is easily able to move all its child sections and their paragraphs along with it.

    Third, in order to make the XML in to human readable contract, a stylesheet is required. Our clause model makes these stylesheets easy to produce and maintain. It achieves this important goal by having only one element name at each level, and by using a different name for that element for each level.

  13. What word processor should I use?

    You can use any XML Editor which supports W3C XML Schema. For example, Altova's Authentic editor or XML Spy, Microsoft's forthcoming Office 2003 Pro, SpeedLegal's SmartEditor, or the contract editor in certain contract management systems (for example, TBC).

    However, with some of these tools, you might find it painful to move a clause from one level of the hierarchy to another. For example, to move a 'Paragraph' up to become a 'Section'. The reason for this is that for the contract to stay valid, the 'Paragraph' element needs to be renamed 'Section'. You either need to make this change manually, or use an editor which does it automatically for you.

  14. The developers are asking why you didn't use a 'recursive' model?

    Yes, a recursive model would make certain things easier (for example, promoting and demoting clauses around in an editing scenario). But it is harder for lawyers and other end users to work with, and more expertise would be required to create and maintain transformations. So balancing the various considerations, we've decided a non-recursive model is best.

[Valid HTML 4.01!]
This page is maintained by jharrop@speedlegal.com. Last updated on 13 April 2003
Copyright © 2003 by xxx