Subject: RE: [legalxml-econtracts] The CSS issue (was .. Req #106)

Dear all,

My answer to that question is YES.

However, I would believe the following statement to be closer to what I
would expect this TC to get at:

"The eContracts spec shall define an exchange standard (XML Schema or DTD)
for legal contracts that, insofar as the very nature of a contract allows
it, does not interfere with the presentation of such contracts, whatever the
means used for such presentation".

In other words, despite accepting that we are inevitably describing a
certain amount of format, I believe we should make it clear that the CSS and
XSL-FO (and XSLT) standards are already meant to smoothly integrate with XML
data and such XML data (when valid against a vocabulary that follows the
Schema or DTD specs) should not do any additional effort to accommodate to
them, since that should have already been taken care of by the very
definition of Schemas, DTDs and the various stylesheets specs.

I believe we keep on facing the same problem over and over, which is why I
find it great that we try to do away with it all at once: Unlike most
real-world instances of yet "unstructured" data, the terms of a legal
contract are painfully tied to their disposition on a physical sheet of
paper and even the way they are expressed in human-readable language.

It is for that very reason that we have agreed that a stand-alone
information model would not suffice to describe most legal contracts in a
flexible way (eg. <jurisdiction>Berlin</jurisdiction>), and I understand it
is for that reason that we are striking a balance between such model and a
structural/clause model where the particular "articles" ("clauses",
"terms"...) can be divided in paragraphs, subparagraphs and so on,
themselves containing the natural language that all contracts are made of,
unless automatically negotiated between two systems.

Bearing all that in mind, we must conclude we are already describing, to a
certain extent, format. So I agree to your statement, including what I
consider the most controversial part of it: "that includes the information
needed to create conclusive presentation of the contract as agreed by the
parties".

If this makes any sense.

Regards,

Sergio