Subject: Minutes Draft June 18 - v2

Folks,

Here is a revised version of the minutes based upon some comments from
Dr. Leff. These represent additions and clarifications. Even so, to
facilitate review, the changes have been marked with "***" to make them
easy to locate.

Thanks to Dr, Leff for taking the time to review the minutes and pass
his comments along.  Anyone else...?

Best,

Dave Marvit
Fujitsu labs of America
dave@marvit.org

--------
Draft Minutes (Version 2)
OASIS LegalXML eContracts Technical Committee
June 18, 2003 Conference Call.

- Minutes of June 4th meeting were approved unanimously
- Some discussion about scheduling around the ABA conference
- Discussion about the requirements document
- Discussion about the need for the specification to not impede fully
automated systems by requiring the ability to render
- Approval of the requirements document 9 to 1 with an understanding of
the context generated by the discussion
- Approval of section 3.2.2 describing a process to develop a clause
model (approved by all with 1 abstention).

----------------------

The following were present:

Rolly Chambers
Dan Greenwood
Barry Hanson
Jason Harrop
Jim Keane
Dr. Leff
Dave Marvit
John McClure
Peter Meyer
Zoran Milosevic
Greg Wiley (as an observer)

Dan G: Moves to approve the minutes of the previous conference call
(June 4th)
Seconded by Jason
Minutes approved unanimously

Jim Keane suggests that we add the ABA discussion to the agenda.
John Messing has scheduled an eNotary meeting on Wed and Thursday.
Jim has rooms set aside for Friday and Saturday afternoon.
Sunday there is an ODR meeting. We need to schedule around the business
law meeting if we can.

DG Next item “Report on Friendly amendments received.” Jason…?

JH: There is really only one amendment, and it is from Dr. Leff.

Dr. Leff: The application I suggested may not involve any printed
display. (The information is being used between applications.)
Therefore I proposed that nothing in the clause model should get in the
way of the needs of people that don’t want to display the contract. One
suggestion is to make that change in the minutes [rather than in the
document].

DG: I think it should be addressed explicitly.

DM: Why not put it in the doc?

JH: It didn’t seem necessary to describe one thing that we are *not*
going to do.

DG: From my point of view there could be an inference drawn that
everyone using the eContracts spec would be required to support a
rendered, displayed contract.

Considering the delays inherent in modifying the document it might be
better to address the need by dealing with the motion when accepting
the document [later in the meeting].

JH: That’s OK by me.

DG: Could you think about some clean language for us to consider when
we decide on adoption of the document?

Dr. L: I’ll work on it.

JH: Next is 3.2.1 Addition of Emphasis handling

Rolly: If you are envisioning an emphasis element that could be used, I
would rather see that called something other than emphasis. Emphasis
implies formatting.

JH: Sure. I wasn’t trying to name the tag...

Rolly: OK. What about representing lists?

Peter: The requirement that lists be represented is in there as a part
of structures.

JH: The things in part 11 are the things we need to develop more detail
on as we develop the clause model.

DG: At some point we will have to address the issue (especially for
consumers and displayed contracts) that some parts of the contract need
to be ‘conspicuous’. Do people think that is a requirement that belongs
in this document, or should it be dealt with elsewhere? It can be
addressed in a presentation-like way.

Peter: I was trying, in section 11, to provide an indicative list
rather than an exhaustive one. Jason?

JH: Generally speaking I’d like to capture things we have thought of so
that they are not forgotten. As you point out, it can be represented
structurally or in terms of non-structural markup.

JH: 3.2, the motions... Are people comfortable accepting the
requirements document?

Jim Keane: What about handling the quorum issue?

DG: We are the TC. And we will bring the formalities up to speed in the
next call...

JK: I just don’t know what basis we have to make a decision... what are
we trying to achieve?

DG: We are trying to accept a set of requirements.

Rolly: If anyone is troubled by what is being considered then they
should be on the call.

JH: Sergio and John Messing aren’t on the call, but everyone else that
seems to be involved is on the call.

DG: I agree that we have web-based tools, but this [the conference
call] is a powerful forum. There are 13 people in the group.

Jim Keane: I am just a bit concerned by the informality and the not
following the procedures of OAISS. That said, I am OK with moving
forward.

DG: Fair enough. And we are dedicated to straightening out the
administrative issues.

Dr. Leff: Here is some proposed wording: It should be convenient to use
the clause model for applications where the XML is the contract and is
used as an exchange between applications and is not intended to be
displayed or represented in printable form.

DG:  Can we make that clearer?

Peter: I’m not clear as to what this means. Contracts are between
people and ultimately people will be evaluating them.

Dr Leff: Two agents can have a contract, or an automated purchasing
system. Neither party necessarily knows what the other party is looking
at. The only thing that is common is the exchange of XML

Peter: The purchase order is a contract, yes, but we aren’t marking up
contracts yet. We are only marking up the human readable parts. There
is a lot to a contract (as we have discussed) that we aren’t marking up.

Dr. Leff: But the clause model that we develop for the human readable
part should not inconvenience the instances when people want to do
other things with the schema.
The upshot is that some things may be zeroed out. [Some display
parameters may be set to zero.]

Peter: What you want is that if your ‘XML only’ contract contains terms
that are human readable then you want to be sure that the XML does not
cause problems with the automated system.

DG: I like the way peter phrased it. Paraphrasing:
Assure that the structural markup does not inhibit the use of the
standard for uses in non-human readable applications.

JH: I’m not sure how the change we are proposing will affect things.

DG: I’m not sure either, but as an automated contracting enthusiast I
do want to make sure that we don’t inhibit that type of activity.

Peter: We are taking up a narrow scope currently. By suggesting an XML
only transaction, that may be out of the scope of what we are trying to
do. I am a bit concerned that we impose a machine readable model on
something that is human readable.

Dr. Leff: I agree. That would be a mistake. But in the process of
making a contract human readable we don’t want to inconvenience the
users/development of pure machine applications.

Rolly: But why is it difficult to say that we don’t want to inhibit
machine-to-machine transactions?

Peter: I don’t have a problem with it. But I want to make sure that I
understand it.

Dr. Leff: If one of these terms represents a unit of obligation, then
it shouldn’t be nested in a bunch of levels...

Jason: What we are doing here is marking up the paragraphs that appear
on the page. When you start to talk about units of obligation then you
are talking about the other thread, the non-structural mark-up...

Dr. Leff: There may be a ‘body of contract’ tag and then a series of
statements.

Peter: The point is that we are marking up the structure and it is not
intended to be interpreted in any semantic sense.

DG: It seems that we are in agreement... Let’s go with the original
motion as described in the agenda with the context of the discussion as
represented in the minutes.

DG moved to accept the proposal

Jason seconded

John McClure: I move to table this until we have a better understanding
of the clause model issues.

DG: is there a second?

J McClure: Can we have discussion?

DG: It isn’t a live motion until there is a second…

[waiting... but no second]

DG: I am in sympathy with your point but I feel pretty confident that
we are in a good position to address it at this point, even in advance
of completing discussion of all of the scenarios.

DG: I didn’t second your motion not because I thought it was
unreasonable, but because I thought it wasn’t necessary.

John McClure: The first item that I think deserves discussion is the
expansion of the scope of the TC beyond what was described in the
charter. I think that this is an inappropriate vehicle to amend the
charter.

Peter: This point was addressed in the last conference. There was an
implicit agreement last time and this was being formalized this time.

John McClure: I wasn’t aware that we agreed to change the charter last
time

Peter: I disagree that we are changing the charter.

DG: The charter gives us considerable latitude to change the
requirements.

John McClure: Perhaps, but we are tasked with representing contracts,
not every conceivable type of document that could be generated.

Peter: The argument is that there is no commercial basis for having a
DTD that is contracts only. Our basic proposition is that you need a
more general purpose DTD in order to gain adoption.  That’s what’s
driving this. If we go down the route [of contracts only] we are
committing suicide. We are not in violation of the charter, we are
simply doing what needs to be done in order to have a successful
standard.

John McClure: Item#2, this is a requirements document, and yet it does
not allow for the markup of a... The reality is that this is markup for
some other document, for some other document than the contract document.

My suggestion as to how to address that particular issue is to qualify
at a minimum that, wherever it states that is the requirement for a
contract document, to change it to say that this is a requirement for
the ‘pre-contract document’

As for making a standard that is useful: Understand that there are XML
dialects that are used by browsers that are used to make presentations.
(HTML etc…) It is that XML that needs to be annotated to represent the
semantics. If we are trying to represent semantics then the issue
becomes how to create a markup that is coordinated with HTML standards
rather than developing our own.

JH: Aren’t you talking about the non-structural stuff?

DG: In the interests of time, if you could rattle down what other
issues you might have... It would be good if you could put the things
forward that you might have to say...

John McClure: Happy to oblige.  There is no definition of terms. I have
no idea what is meant by many of the terms. I really do raise a flag
about the proper way to write a requirements doc. It should not include
rhetorical questions.  It should be definitive (in the sense of
defining). I’m concerned with the process. I thought that no XML was to
be generated yet...

*** Scope issue, the way it is written, the definition of process it
outlines, and (most troubling) that it doesn’t address the most key
issue – the contract (that it is a presentation artifact) and the XML
representation.

Peter: My basic point is that John is seeking to revisit the previous
discussion of the TC. Also, there was an invitation to submit
amendments and it is unfortunate that he didn’t do so. I’m not sure
that it is productive to engage in the debate.

DG: Does anyone else have comments?

Dr. Leff: I think that the coordination with other groups is implicit
in some of these concerns. If we are trying to interface with things
like open office and court documents and so on, then we should be
getting involved with those groups.

DG: Can you see to it that this becomes an agenda item?

Dr Leff: yes.

John McClure: The vote last time was to close general discussion. I am
not trying to open general discussion.

DG: I want to be very clear that everything that you have brought up
*is* in order. One of the things you said in particular I feel quite
strongly about. I find it somewhat troubling that we haven’t gone
through all of the requirements.  However, given that this is
structural and not semantic, I am not raising the issue formally.

Although we have worked diligently we still don’t have a full
understanding of the requirements – so I am keeping an open mind about
it. Having said that, I am still in favor of the document.

Dr. Leff: I agree

Rolly: I agree. By approving the motion I don’t think I am giving up
the right to come back and revise things.

Peter: I agree, but I think it will help us if we have something that
we can work around.

Dr. Leff: This can become our statement of work. This will be Useful
when working with other groups.
*** [Note: Dr. Leff mentioned that the Electronic Court Filing
Technical Committee is using the "Statement of Work" as the first step
in the process of developing a work product.  Mr. Winters prepared a
detailed document describing the process, adopted by that Technical
Committee. It is Dr. Leff's understanding that this may be suggested as
a model for adoption by
other Legal XML Member Section Technical Committees. Folks should let
Dr. Leff know if they want him to follow up with Mr. Winters for more
details.]

John McClure: The fact remains that we are going back and undoing the
‘preliminary agreement’ or whatever the term, about hierarchical versus
recursive models. There was a lot of work that went into that. Now we
have been presented with a set of requirements to examine (that don’t
have the quality or quantity of backup materials of the recursive
model). And now, without much discussion from the group about the flaws
in the hierarchical model, it is being tossed aside.  And we don’t know
where it is going because there are no examples.

JH: I don’t think that this was tossed aside.  We learned a lot through
that process.

DG: Are there any other comments on the motion?

[none]

All in favor of the motion that:
The TC accept the clause model requirements document;

9 in favor, 1 opposed.

John McClure: Point of order. This looks like the process that was
included in the document that was just assented to.

DG: Does anybody object to this process?

Dr. Leff: I don’t object to the process, but I wonder how it integrates
with the previous discussion.

JH: Could you post anything you think is appropriate to the list?

Dr. Leff: Sure
*** [Note: This was done later as
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/legalxml-econtracts/200306/
msg00021.html]CD_Burn

DG: Any other comments?

DG: I move to accept 3.2.2

JH: Seconded.

Approved by all, with 1 abstention.

DG: Other new business?
[none]

DG: It is my expectation that the next few meetings will be less
procedural and more addressing the substance.

If everyone could please review Rolly’s scenario in advance of the next
call that’s be great.

Dr. Leff: There has been additional slippage. What should we do about
the forthcoming schedule?

DG: For the purposes of saving people’s time, there is consensus of
discussing the ORD scenario on the next call. We’ll sort out the rest
offline.

Meeting adjourned