Subject: RE: [legalxml-econtracts] Another clause model proposal

Peter,
Thanks to you and to Daniel for the markup examples -- they're remarkable and
illuminating for all of us. If you still have the patience and don't mind too
much my pestering questions, there's a few more below. Contrasting your model to
XHTML is quite helpful to me to better understand your proposal.

>Daniel's quick comments are:

>chose to put in the <l> in all cases here. The <l> acts very much like the
>proposed Text element in the TC clause model. In XHTML 2.0 its possible for
>people to mark things up either way, creating inconsistency in markup.

	I'm not very bothered by the presence or absence of <I> or
	<Text> tags, given the behaviour of <xsl:value-of/>.  But your
	document states that the <Text> tag could be optional -- like
	the <l> tag, so I'm a bit confused by your point here. Overall,
	I am very happy with a tag like <Text> or <l> to represent text
	beginning with a new-line -- I really loathe <br/>...

>(b) XHTML 2.0 draft does not provide for the component or citation numbers.
>The <x:num> elements are an extension I made up to fill the void.

	I think that the <label> element could be used here if necessary.
	At the same time, their draft spec says:

	Numbered sections and references. XHTML does not itself cause
	section numbers to be generated from headings. Style sheet
	languages such as CSS however allow authors to control the
	generation of section numbers.

	Surely they're talking about CSS 2 or 3, which I have no illusions
	about in the short-term. As a solution until that happy time, I
	suggest the <label> element could be both adequate and
	appropriate (it's "for" attribute would point to either its
	containing <h> or, if a separate element for reason of one's
	document layout, to a sibling or cousin <h> element).

>(c) The model does not distinguish between a new paragraph after a list and
>a continuation of the previous paragraph. See the end of 1.1 (e). Basically
>this is because the list is not contained by the <p>.

	I think that a combination of <l> and <span> elements is far more
	appropriate in such context -- as you say, that text block is not
	separate from the containing paragraph, so why make it so?

>(d) The model does not provide a way to contain all components of the
>grammatical paragraph. The list is separated so it cannot be addressed and
>manipulated as a discrete unit.

	Your first statement seems an echo of (c), which I believe is handled
	by using the correct elements; the content model for a <p> allows lists.
	Because a <ul>/<ol> are distinct elements, and thus can be addressed
	and manipulated, I'm not understanding your second statement.

>(e) The model retains the <ol> and <ul> which are redundant.

	I don't think they're redundant at all. In the absence of formatting
	directives, they simply provide a default presentation semantic.

>(f) The model does not as easily allow switching of content between the
>document outline and the narrative content because it uses a different
>elements in each.

	It seems that you distinguish between document's outline and
	it's narrative content based upon the presence of a heading.
	Isn't this a just matter of adding or removing <h> (and <label>)
	elements from a <section> element?

>(g) The XHTML 2.0 draft still contains H1 - 6 etc. It would be necessary to
>implement a heavily cut down version of the schema.

	They're soon to consider deprecating those 6 elements, which
	makes much sense to me. Whether they do so or not, the <h>
	element (that you rightly used in the markup) could be the
	"standardized" element that we require be used in legal
	instruments.

Thanks much for your answers. I promise not to ask more prior to Wed's call.
John