Subject: FW: [legalxml-econtracts] grammatical paras necessary for "linking and retrieval mechanisms"?

Hi Jason,
Sorry that my explanations weren't clear.

A grammatical paragraph is an un-captioned unit of content (text and graphic)
that is located within a captioned unit of content, and that is meant by the
author to convey a topic of information. A captioned unit of content is
indicated by the presence of a preceding caption number and or caption title,
and is meant by the author to convey an organization of its topics of
information. A topic of information is one or more subjects paired with one or
many units of content. In English, a grammatical paragraph contains grammatical
sentences, ungrammatical phrases, and associated images.... in other words, a
grammatical paragraph can be defined within a pretty common framework.

Because a grammatical paragraph exists conceptually then software needs to be
able to reference it for libraries (e.g., as the subject of reuse), for display
(e.g., as the subject of widow processing, cursoring control, and text selection
highlighting), and for metadata (as the subject of RDF statements). Like any
other identifiable "thing" in a contract, they need to be accessed using an <a>
anchor tag. The anchor tag has an href attribute that is a URI. The URI needs to
point to a single element that contains the content of a grammatical paragraph.
That element can be identified positionally, by id, or by some other attribute.
Technically it doensnt matter which device is used, however there are good
reasons to prefer that the element be ABLE TO BE identified positionally so that
id's are NOT REQUIRED to be provided on every stupid element in a file.

With regard to samples, that which you provided in the Appendix is good enough.
With regard to the lack of guarantee that a grammatical paragraph fully
encapsulates its content, well, I am interested in a standard that works, when
used correctly. When used incorrectly, well, that's their problem not mine. With
regard to who would (ever) want to link to a specific item of trailing content,
well, on the whole I agree with you that the argument of linking to trailing
content is not too compelling to me either. With regard to "poking at and
talking about" further examples, for me, well, I am at the end of my
participation in such exercise -- I know enough for my purposes to move on.

I think it's a good thing for everyone in the galaxy that XHTML 2.0 introduces
the <section> element and redefines the <p> element from a simple paragraph to a
grammatical paragraph, and we should build on it as a very compelling base for
further standardization and easy, international, acceptance of our work. I hope
we can vote about this soon.

Thanks,
John