Subject: RE: [legalxml-econtracts] Signature Areas

Jason,
The text for "G" is in the <p> element, but the table for the signature stuff
would not be. The table *should* be outside of the <section> and <layout>
structure of the document.

I am troubled about a Signature block element -- it seems too presentational in
nature for my taste. I am more attracted to one or more inline elements, My
objective is to create XHTML markup that can be re-formatted into XSL-FO (for
conversion to PDF), so I think the key is to identify the text strings that are
to be used by that XSLT to create the FOs representing the "signature block" --
I think this is an important objective to have because it keeps us "honest" as
we create a "logical" markup language using a presentation-oriented markup
language as its foundation.

Some inline signature related elements coming to mind follow, which I'm sure can
be improved, but here goes:

	a. <signature-party> - holds the name of a party signing the document
	b. <signature-date> -- holds the date of the signature
	c. <signature-intro> -- holds text that introduces the signature area
	d. <signature> -- holds the image of the actual signature

Now, I assume and accept that there will be content in the XHTML file that is
irrelevant to the XSLT creating the FO/PDF for the contract. A table in the <p>
within the <section> would always by formatted as part of the contract. A table
outside of the <section> element would not be identity-copied, although it would
be accessed for its inline signature elements.

My view necessitates that preamble text (and postscript text) for the contract's
sections is to be so identified -- I proposed a generic <layout> element, but
it'd certainly be alright to use element names for each layout area, eg footnote
text, header text, footer text, and others as needed. This yields something
like:

	<instrument>
		<running-header/>
		<preamble/>
		<section/>
		<postscript/>
		<running-footer/>
	</instrument>

Thanks,
John

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/legalxml-econtracts/members/leave_w

--

Jason Harrop
CTO, SPEEDLEGAL

Melbourne
Mob +61 (0)402 02 66 34
Tel +61 (0)3 9670 0141
Fax +61 (0)3 9670 0142
www.speedlegal.com

SmartPrecedent(R) software
The most intelligent way to create documents