Subject: December 17 Draft minutes

Minutes
OASIS LegalXML eContracts Technical Committee
December 17,  2003Conference call

The following were present:
Daniel Noll
Dr. Leff
Charles Gillam
Dave
Steven Pemberton (from the W3C)
Rolly Chambers
Shane McCarron (also from the W3C)
Zoran
Dan
Jason
John McClure

Dan proposes to defer administrative matters since we have some guests
on the line:
[No objections heard]

Dan: I’d like to start by thanking our guests from the W3C XHTML
standards drafting effort.

By way of setting context, Jason and Peter have provided some
questions. This should provide some context. Would you folks mind
introducing yourselves, and then we can have an open dialog about how
your efforts might fit with ours…?

Steven: I’m Steven Pemberton form Amsterdam. I’m chair of the HTML2
group as well as of the forms group. XHTML2 is only one of the
standards we are defining, but everything we are doing is leading to
XHTML2. One of our aims is to use generic technologies whenever
possible. When they didn’t exist we tried to create them. Generic means
of use by as many as possible.

At the moment we are leading up to last call for XHTML2. I imagine that
your process is somewhat similar and that you have something like last
call and know what it means when we talk about last call.

So we are approaching last call. We imagine that we will get a lot of
comments when we get there. Our aim it to have a candidate
recommendation (CR) within 12 months, and possibly more than that.

Dan: OK, that gives us a good sense of where you are. In OASIS we have
2 layers. At The TC layer we have TCs that put out a TC specification.
The committee can call it there and companies are free to implement it
there. Or they can go on to the second level and put it forth as an
OASIS standard. This is a longer and more formal process.

We are working on our committee process. We will have three layers, a
structural markup which seems to have a lot in common with XHTML2, a
semantic layer, and an envelope specification of some kind.

In the semantic layer, in addition to having semantics for a variety of
clauses we expect to have triggers for a variety of workflow issues.

The issue of the month, and the last couple of months, is the
structural layer. We are trying to see how X2 will fit there.

Could the other members introduce themselves?

Shane: hello. I’m Shane Mcarron. I am lead editor and “conformance god”.

Steven: How do you want to structure this?

Dan: I know that Jason and John have some questions. If you want to
answer questions that were emailed…?

Steven: One thing that popped into mind is that something has made it
into the standard that is not in the draft, and that is how to deal
with meta-information. That’s not only RDF, but…

What we have noticed is that lots of different interest groups have
been asking us to add different elements, person, date, time and so it
goes on. While there is a lot of interest there, we recognize that this
is an endless process. We have to attach those elements to the
structure. This gives us the best of both worlds.

Dan: When you say attach them, we have the element attribute model. We
also …

Steven: If I can flesh it out a bit. The solution came from the
accessibility world that needs to be able to understand the purpose of
the element. We have an attribute called ROLE that specifies the role
of an element. So, for example, we might have a paragraph and it’s role
would be ‘indemnity clause’ Role =: OASIS indemnity clause.

Dan: I’m sure that Jason and John have lots of questions. Do you have
any that you’d like to pose now?

Steven: Jason’s first question was if XHTML2 was intended to be used
for business documents. Our intent is that it be a broadly usable
document type without being all things to all people. We are trying to
find a balance between usability and size.

We can’t require, or rather we can’t say ‘we’ll solve that problem
using tools’. We need to keep the folks using text editors in mind.

Jason: How we got to where we are today in the WG is that we have been
on the quest for a structural markup for contracts. The idea has been a
subject of considerable debate.

Fairly recently the current draft of XHTML2 came to our attention.
There is a view that since it is XHTML, and since it is intended to be
a standard in the marketplace, there is a sense that it will sweep
everything in the marketplace before it. So, what is the point of our
making our own if XHTML2 is going to be good enough…?

Steven: Early in the process we developed the idea of modularization.
What we wanted to be sure of is that if one used tables the others
would use the same table. Now X stands for extensibility, but that’s a
fine-grained extensibility. We wanted a courser-grained extensibility
so we had the idea of modularity.

Our own rule is that if you want to use the name XHTML anywhere you
need to have certain modules included.

Jason: There is a view in our group that XHTML2 will take over the
world. I’d like to hear the ambitions of your group.
The thing that concerns me is the ease of authoring for non-technical
authors. That’s why I was wondering about certain elements. What we are
envisioning is having this on the desktops of attorneys and others and
having these elements makes it harder for them to use it.

Steven: One of the primary thrusts is thinking about the end user. Part
of the success of html is that it didn’t require tools.

We are up for discussion on some elements. We kept them because they
are low implementation cost and possible benefit.

Dan: Do any of you have Peter’s questions? They would be good to
address.

Shane: I have it. The first has already been answered. It can be used
for a variety of applications, depending upon your timeline.

Steven: One of the aims of XHTML2 is to use generic technologies as
much as possible. There are many XHTML2 documents that work in existing
browsers. The things that don’t work in a generic way are forms and
events. The rest of the stuff you can do in browsers already without
having to re-write the browsers.

Jason: I like the x-forms a lot. From a conformance standpoint, do you
have to keep that to be compliant?

Steven: No, You can remove that module and still use the XHTML2 name if
you add something to it. XHTML2-legal, or something.

Shane: You can still be a host language if you want to be.

[Shane cites Peter’s question about conformance levels.]

Shane: The choice of conformance level is to some extent philosophical.
It also has to do with adoption. If you are a host language then you
are more likely to be interpretable by XHTML2 family.

Dan: What are the types of features and available elements that we want
in our dream contract specific markup that we want to be in our
contract specific language? Does that impose too many…

Shane: I was hoping that we could get through the existing questions
first.

Dan: Jason?

Jason: If you would describe the major things that you are and are not
allowed to use for host language conformance?

Shane: You need to use the required modules – and it is a short list.
You need to use the basic structure, lists, and hypertext links. Also,
if you pick up a non-required module you need to pick up all of the
functionality. You can extend the module but you can’t subset the model.

There are some picayune details about white space but those should not
be relevant.

Jason: Are we allowed to add elements to a required module?

Shane: Yes. You add elements to your own module. You define your own
module, add elements to your module, and then attach  it.

Jason: So it is an XHTML 1 model.

John McClure: Steven and Shane, I thank you for joining the call. I am
an old RDF hand so my perspective comes form that direction. In
contracts in particular the predominant structure is the clause. As we
look at XHTML2 we intend to use the section element to represent the
clause. It would need to have a heading and a caption number. It looks
as though the XH elements are going away. What is the current status of
the nr elements?

Steven: you are talking about numbers that need to be explicitly in the
doc and not generated by a style sheet?

John McClure: Yes

Steven: It is there as an idea, but it is not surely in or out.

John McClure: It would be great to see that element standardized on
your side of the fence.

Steven: If you want to give us that as a data point  that would be
good. We need to review our current semantic elements and see if we can
improve them or remove them. We need to iterate again.

John McClure: A contract is divided into the main doc, but has
schedules and appendices attached. Clearly we would not want to see the
section applied to those documents. Is there any discussion at all in
the W3C about things like appendices?

Steven: You started by saying that clearly you wouldn’t and it is not
clear to me why saying section with a sufficient marker would not be
good enough.

John: I mean without specifying a role

Steve: We already have two ways of dividing up a document. One is the
DIV and the other is the section element. Adding new elements that
essentially do the same thing but add a bit of semantics would be
harder to convince the group to accept. That is not to say that we
wouldn’t do it. We are always open for suggestions.

John McClure: If we are relying on a marker such as role to indicate
that it is an attachment rather than another clause in the document
then it tends to hide the info further in the document. Consider that
as a possible data point – having a document with front and back matter
would go a long way. We would want this architecture at the level of
the W3C because it would impact our ability to be conformant

Jason: Would you be happy with a head, body, tail elements?

John McClure: Well, head is typically reserved for metadata so head,
body, tail, may not go far enough.

When is the next draft?

Steven: Shortly. The middle of next month.

John McClure: Let’s talk about the grammatical paragraph. Is the
intention to walk away from the typographical structure that is the
hallmark of XHTML1 and move to lists?

Steven: We have dome that already. That is exactly the idea. A
paragraph has been a very simple block of text and it is not what you
think of a paragraph is. This is because of user demand and user
analysis. People thought of a paragraph as a conceptual unit. Since a
paragraph can contain a list, people should be able to represent that.

When you have a mental model of a paragraph then it has some semantic
meaning for the person writing it and you can tag it for that semantic
meaning much more easily.

John McClure: Any consideration for inline lists as compared to block
lists?

Steven: Those concepts disappear. We have noticed a confusion with
users when using block in HTML and CSS. If something is called a block
that references its content model and not how it is presented. If you
have a list and you want to present it inline then that is perfectly
acceptable.

Shane: You can distinguish between flowing and block lists through
style.

Steven: The class attribute is the place where you would reflect that
kind of information.

John McClure: Signatures? This is an issue that is apart from digital
signatures (which is an encapsulating technology). What we want to do
is be able to determine where a signature is located. It could be
related to a button, for example. Has there been any discussion about
establishing a module for signatures?

Steven: Not that I know of. There has never been any discussion. I am
not aware of any requirements or discussion.

Shane: When we have talked about things like this, we have said that
the ‘role’ attribute is good for this sort of thing. Saying Role is
OASIS: signature then this is an opportunity for you to define exactly
what you mean by signature.

John McClure: Is role a way of attaching semantic meaning to any
element?

Steven: Yes.

John McClure: How does this relate to the Ruby module?

Steven: The Ruby model was created by a different group. That is a very
interesting comment on your behalf. There has been no discussion about
using Ruby for that purpose, but I agree that this is something that
Ruby could be used for. Ruby will be a module that is included.

John McClure: Do you see a conflict between roles and Ruby?

Steven: I don’t see why you might see a conflict there.

John McClure: It appears that Ruby was a method for annotating an
arbitrary string of text.

Steven: Yes. There is no requirement of the Ruby markup to use Ruby
presentation. I personally think that there is a lot of possibility for
use of Ruby in specialized use cases.

John McClure: I am finished asking about.. well I am prepared to get
into semantics but if you would like to get into structure..

Jason: Well, we have only just started to mark up contracts with XHTML2
to see how hard or easy it might be for end users. I am interested
in... in a section you can have mixed content…? Why are you allowed to
put PC data in a section if it is most convenient to think of it as a
container?

Steven: I agree with you. But I think it was to make it as generically
useful as possible. If you want to use it as a container then that’s
all right. We are granting the freedom to let people use it if they
really want it.

John McClure: So it is for ease of authoring.

Steven: We didn’t want to restrict the way people would use it. We
didn’t want to unnecessarily restrict people.

Jason: It does mean that an authoring environment would assume that a
section is a paragraph rather than a container for a paragraph.

Shane: In addition to the role attribute being available on all XHTML2
elements, it is also available on all of your elements. XHTML2
guarantees that the semantics are available on your elements.

John McClure: How would the XHTML2 data stream would point at the
relevant RDF data stream that describes the semantic content of the
document?

Steven: These are details that we are hammering out now. Hopefully by
mid January…

John McClure: What is the relationship between qname in the role
attribute which is to be defined for a given namespace, and the
namespace that is used within?

Theoretically one could have those qnames inside an RDF description
element that references that...

Steven: We intend to specify how an XHTML2 document gets interpreted by
an RDF processor, but we haven’t done that yet.

Dan: I see that we are running up against our traditional hour for the
call. I wanted to see if there are any objections to running a few more
minutes.

Shane: I have to run.

Dan: Thanks for your time Shane. I hope that this can be the beginning
of a more consistent liaise between our efforts.

Dan: Do we have any outstanding obvious obstacles in the mind of any TC
participant for using XHTML2 as a host language? I did hear a few
things about lists...

John McCure: As far as the structural model, the issue of the NR tag is
hanging out there. The issue of siblings to the body tag remains.

Dan: Jason, do you have any issues?

Jason: I think it helps to know what we are going to aim for. There is
nothing more I’d like to ask (thanks very much). In terms of deciding
if we can run with XHTML2. I want to sit down and see how it will work
in an editor from the perspective of our target user base.

Dan: Of course. I wasn’t trying to push for consensus yet…

Dr. Leff: Just quickly... Could XHTML2 be inside anything else, such as
a conditional clause? If something might happen then something else
might happen?

Steven: No, there is no reason.

Dan: I’d like to suggest that as a follow on the TC ruminate on and
digest what we heard today and develop a list of questions or topics
for follow on questions. Also, is there a formal process for dealing
with other standards bodies, or is informal email exchange between
chairs appropriate?

Steven: I don’t think anything formal is required. Just sending email
is fine.

Dan: Great. You mentioned that you are trying to apply an 80/20 rule.
Is there some process by which we can make our sticking points know to
you

Steven: www-html-editor@w3c.org. That is the official entry point for
questions. We have a formal process that every comment that goes there
gets logged and gets and issue number and gets replied to.

DG: Is there someone from MIT in the working group?

Steven: OASIS is a member of the W3C so feel free to join. You would be
more than welcome. We have a 1 hour phone call 1 time per week.

DG: Is Fujitsu represented?

Steven: Yes in the W3C, not on the WG

Dan: More questions?

Zoran: Some of the functionality you have described is in X-forms. What
is the alignment between the two?

Steven: X-forms is an integral part of XHTML2. It was always intended
to be. In fact the X-forms group was a subgroup. But it required such
specialized knowledge that it became a separate group rather than a
subgroup.

Zoran: So you answer to Dr. Leff was that it comes from the X-forms
part.

Dave: What are your intermediate milestones?

Steven: We plan one more working draft, then last call, and CR in this
coming 12 months.

Dan: As of the next working draft, assuming that there are …

Steven: The next draft will be a working draft. Comments on that will
change it into the last call working draft. And comments on that will
turn it into a candidate rec.

The further you get in the process the less change there is. All I can
say is that we are converging. The RDF part is quite a big change, but
that doesn’t affect the structural  part. That hasn’t changed in a
while.

Jason: The RDF part that you mentioned is a big change. Will that be
required stuff, or will we be able to opt out of the RDF stuff if we
chose to do so.

Steven: We haven’t decided yet.

Dan: Thank you very much Steven for your time.

Steven: Thanks to you all…

Dan: Would the group still stay on the line?

What about the timeline? How can we base something on a standard that
is going to change over the next 12 months?

Dave: Well, the structural part hasn’t changed much…

Jason: I agree with Dave. I don’t know to what extent the TC wants to
decide if it is a sensible approach or not, but we are in a position to
say that if we wanted to go for post-language level conformance we
could decide what that would be. It would be possible for any member of
the TC to sit down and decide. We have some solid ground to work form…

John McClure: I think the next step is to develop the set of talking
points. It might still be addressed in even the January draft. If they
are undecided on something such as the NR …

[discussion about the need for front and back-mater and how to
represent that. Should it be in their representation, or can we do it
with our module]

[discussion about scheduling]

January 7 for our next meeting

Dan proposes that requirements should be the first half of next
meeting, then working out the list of questions to pass to W3C.

[Discussion that when representing the group in messages to the W3C the
information should be on the list… That way members are not left ‘in
the dark’ as to what the group is doing.]

Meeting adjourned