Subject: Re: [legalxml-econtracts-comment] Public Comment

Hello Henrique

Thank you for your enquiry.

The eContracts technical committee distinguishes between what it calls
"structure" and "semantics".

The "structure" is XML necessary to allow the contract to be rendered in
  an output format.  It is a document type for representing a textual
document similar in concept to XHTML or DocBook: but specific to
contracts in that it allows you to identify clauses, signatures etc.

The "semantics" capture interesting things contained in clauses, like a
price, a date, or the fact that a clause is an obligation, indemnity or
warranty.

The TC has made considerable progress on structural markup. The status,
as at the end of April 2004 may be found in:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/legalxml-econtracts/200405/pdf00001.pdf

Please note that several aspects remain to be finalised, so any
documents created using the markup proposed in that presentation
probably would not be compliant with the standard when published.

As to the semantics part - the TC is currently finalising its overall
requirements, including for the semantics part.

If you would care to post a brief statement of your requirements - what
you would hope to see in our standard - to the comments list, we would
be interested to read them.

Jason

--

Jason Harrop
CTO, SPEEDLEGAL

Melbourne
Mob +61 (0)402 02 66 34
Tel +61 (0)3 9670 0141
Fax +61 (0)3 9670 0142
www.speedlegal.com

SmartPrecedent(R) software
The most intelligent way to create documents