Subject: Patent Post and eContracts TC Proposal

John Messing posted a link and abstract to a recent patent covering
"legality expression".  I wonder if anybody on the list has heard of this
one or has any idea what it is supposed to cover and how relevent it is (or
isn't) to this TC (or LegalXML in general).  On the topic, I came upon an
interesting phrase after scrolling through the claims at random.  It seems
to provide a mechanism for contracts language to "override" other laws (in
the example given, the contract appears to trump an export law prohibiting
sales of a Monkees episode).  My burning question is: what the heck is that
episode about and why was it prohibited for export?  And also, why would the
PTO grant a patent to technology that enables contracts to trump law when
that violates basic jurisprudence of the USA and other common law countries?
I include the snip from the patent below.

Regarding the TC, I suggest it is time for some closure on the structural
markup proposal.  So, I would like to solicit comments or ideas on how and
when to achieve an votable submission on structural markup.  To get the ball
rolling, here is one idea: that the subcommittee submit to the whole TC
whatever it has agreed upon and whatever it has not (ideally, in the form of
options) and that the TC appoint another group to cobble together a draft
based on that submission.  While the other group will not be as familiar
with the problems and prospects, at least it will have fresh eyes and a
deadline.  The TC as a whole will then have a chance to debate, amend as
needed, and finally vote upon a bounded and complete proposal.

Also - can somebody please e-mail me with an update on the status of the
Requirements Document?  Rolly?  Others?

Thanks,
 - Dan Greenwood

[0260] In an exemplary embodiment, a contract that overrides the law, for
example, can be given by:

[0261] "a) Amazon may sell `The Monkees` episodes,

[0262] b) All sales of `The Monkees. The Time Machine` episode outside of
the U.S. are prohibited,

[0263] c) Amazon chooses to sell the episode outside of the U.S."

[0264] Accordingly, it is a policy of Amazon that the clause 212 for selling
"The Monkees" episodes is preferable to the clause 212 for banning sales of
"The Monkees: The Time Machine" episode outside of the U.S. The exemplary
policy/claim combination can be expressed using the exemplary Contract
Expression Language, for example, as given by:

32 <policy> <claim> <clause
licenseIdRef="licenseForSellingTheMonkeesEpsisodes"/> <precede/> <clause
licenseIdRef="interdictForSellingTheM- onkees-TheTimeMachineEpsisode"/>