Subject: Current focus, and future possibilities

All,

I'll be out of contact on other business out of the
country until October 5th, please carry on discussion
and progress in my absence, and I'll join back in the
action upon my return.

One correction to the notes from last meeting.  It is
not appropriate to have a meeting with representatives
from other host schema any time soon in the format
that was explored.  This is because the TC, by vote,
is now focused on turning BNML into a 1.0 technical
specification from our TC, and the next several
meetings will be largely devolted to that challenge.
While we'll certainly be in contact with other
interested parties in the fullness of time, at this
time we're fullfilling our duty to turn out a
specification, and we're keeping our focus on that
mission until it has taken more final shape.

A look around the corner:  It may be that the TC
should disband after our 1.0 BNML spec is complete.
It is also possible that the best course will be to
stay together, and to get to work on extensions,
revisions and ancillary works (guidelines, etc) for
BNML.  Or possibly, we'll wish to work on a 1.0
specification of another eContracts schema, perhaps in
the retail contract making space occupied by MS Word.
Or maybe we'll wish to do a 1.0 specification related
to semantics around markup.

At this point, I'm frankly not sure what the best
follow up work, if any, would be for an eContracts
effort within OASIS.  It is an interesting question.
What I am sure about, however, is that given how long
it has taken our TC to get to the point we are now at,
we can ill afford any distractions or other dilutions
of effort toward creating our 1.0 specification.
Meetings with people related to other projects, at
this juncture, falls squarely outside the scope of
activities that lead directly to a 1.0 specification.
Making decitions abotu what, if anything, the TC will
do after our specification need not necessarily wait
until after the date of publication of our 1.0 spec,
but it must wait until we have gone far enough down
the road of creating this spec that we either have the
job well in hand, or have met an abstacle on the path
that is daunting enough to warrant exploration of
other options.

So, at this point, the plan, as the TC formally agreed
at the last full meeting, is to keep plowing away at
BNML toward a 1.0 spec.

Thanks very much,
 - Dan Greenwood
    OASIS eContracts TC Chair