Subject: [legalxml-enotary] FWD: Re: FW: URGENT ** Non-repudiation key usage **

For those who are members of the ISC-ABA, please excuse the cross-posting

From:         John Messing <jmessing@LAW-ON-LINE.COM>
Date:          Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:27:03 -0500

Steve:

I would be against taking either position (urging renaming or deletion) as a lawyer talking to technologists. That is their call. I think we have pointed out the difficulties from a legal standpoint and made our position clear. Some of the technologists on the ISC have pointed out technical difficulties. The rest is common sense or the lack of it on the part of the publishers of the X-509 standard.

Without having the thread degenerate into yet another post-mortem on PKI and where its advocates went wrong (MS operating systems seemingly have plenty wrong with them but are not considered dead yet), I think the reality is that technical attempts to devise a method for a conclusive presumption of authentication, as the non-repudiation bit seemingly attempted to do initially, are probably inevitably doomed to failure. The sooner technologists realize the probable futility of such efforts, the better. (I say probable because it is possible that such a machine could be devised, but I sincerely doubt it.) Signatures involve complex human behavior by decision makers about determining objective manifestations of intent. It is not simply boolean logic at play.

I would like to encourage discussions both in the ISC and the eNotary TC of LegalXML-Oasis about when machine authentications of both machine agents and human beings should be considered legally self-authenticating for evidentiary purposes, and what weight should be accorded to such authentications (rebuttable, presumptive, conclusive, etc.)? I believe that is a broader issue that is intrinsically involved with a discussion of the non-repudiation bit.

Best regards.

John Messing
3900 E. Broadway Blvd., Suite 201
Tucson, AZ 85711