Subject: [legalxml-enotary] Re: Nonrepudiation--- yearly tradition

Cross-posted from the ABA Information Security List

A distinction between proof of origin, proof of commitment, and proof of contents is helpful and I think Hans has provided a useful point of departure.

A digital signature should be considered a useful method for determining message origin in terms of network address, as Hans points out.

Proof of commitment should not be determined IMHO from a bit in a certificate, but rather from the message contents itself, as many on the list have agreed. A bit may be marginally helpful on the issue of intent, but the "lu et apprové" language itself is a far better way of determining the granularity of the human intent, in a particular social and linguistic context, than any machine classification.

The authenticity of the message contents as of a particular time, as Steve Teppler has pointed out, can be determined by a timestamp.

So, if we know the network origin, the timestamp and the message contents, we can determine whether the author meant to be bound by the meaning of the words used, and as needed perhaps extrinsic circumstances (pattern of transactions between parties, oral understandings, etc.)  The NR bit has very little relevance in this context.

There still remains however that elusive and tricky issue that technologists seem to want to avoid: tying human or machine identity to network location in order to conclude that a particular person or software agent was responsible for the message generated from the network location.

In earlier postings I have tried to draw a distinction between p-authentication (person-authentication) and m-authentication (machine-authentication).

In classic PKI terms, a person is introduced to computers for certificate issuance purposes by another human who is called a registration authority. As Roger Younglove has pointed out, it is also possible to have a machine generate an identifier (password) for a human to use. That makes the human self-introduce to the network by adopting the password as a digital ID. But the underlying dynamics and result are the same. A digitalID is assigned to a person by a person, in Roger's case the same person who is recipient of the digitalID.

In subsequent transactions, the person can be deemed to be the author of message contents, by means of the digitalID, until the person revokes it, as in certificate revocation.

The care and integrity of the person doing the p-authentication is critical for the needs of a relying party, who is ultimately interested in having the party responsible for a commitment held to it in the event of a dispute regardless of the mechanics of mapping a human to a digital ID.

The manner in which registration (introduction of a human to a network for the purpose of issuing a digital ID) occurs is generally one subject of a CA's cps, and may be reflected in machine-readable language by a cp. There is however no way to do comparisons between cps provisions easily with regard to how reliable the identification processes are except perhaps by a team of dedicated lawyers, who may not agree on the final comparisons to be made. For that reason as the Chair of the eNotary TC of LegalXML Oasis, I am working on developing an XML syntax to allow such comparisons in terms of reliability of identifications to be made and reflected in machine readable ways. This hopefully will allow different brands and classes of certificates to be treated as fungible and interchangeable commodities, as they were originally intended to be, but have never quite become even to this day.

One area that has received little attention to date is the way a machine ought to be authenticated to a network as an agent capable of concluding binding commitments on behalf of enterprises or individuals. Each machine has a MAC, but that can easily be spoofed, as the wireless network I installed in my home clearly proves. The network router spoofs the IP address of the machine that is supposed to be the recipient of the high speed Internet connection in order to share the connection between the various PC's that can be installed throughout the house.

How should one perform m-authentication for the purposes of issuing a digital ID that relying parties can use with minimal risk? Alternatively stated, if a software agent concludes a contract on behalf of an entity, as eSign clearly anticipates, how does the human co-contractant know that he or she has obtained anything of value? Which and whose machine is it really? I have found nothing on point and would appreciate references, if any are available through this group.

Happy Thanksgiving to all those who celebrate the holiday, and best regards to all.

John Messing
3900 E. Broadway Blvd., Suite 201
Tucson, AZ 85711
(520)547-7933 (v)