Subject: RE: [legalxml-enotary] Charter revisions (was Next eNotarization TC meeting - 01/25/07)

After witnessing the experience of the ECF TC, I think it may useful for
us to consider narrowing the Charter to the specific deliverables we are
considering. I was the drafter of the original scope of the charter,
which deals with "self-proving" legal information, but that term is
really overbroad and unhelpful to our task. It also puts the emphasis
on evidentiary uses of documents, which is perhaps an inappropriate
focus for this work since notarized documents may have real-world uses
apart from litigation, and the concept of self-proving, while otherwise
applicable, is only theoretically useful.

The ECF TC has discovered that by narrowing its Charter, which occurred
in its December meeting, it is better able to focus the energies and
efforts of the group. I suggest we narrow our focus to notarization of
documents involving notarial certificates, jurats or acknowledgements,
and focus our efforts on those.

I will be happy to be involved in drafting revisions.

Any thoughts?