Subject: Re: [legalxml-enotary] Groups - ENML 1.0 Specification (DRAFT 2) -PDF (ENML-1.0-Specification-DRAFT2.pdf) uploaded

John,

One clarification in your description in the second paragraph:

ENML would NOT include any XPath expressions. At least, that is
what I'm recommending in Appendix D; but, of course, as with
everything in a standards group, my recommendation can be over-
ridden by a TC vote.

The reason why I am OK with the use of XPath for processing XML
(as you correctly described in the first part of your second para)
and, at the same time, against embedding XPath expressions inside
ENML documents, is simply because the current specification allows
for printing raw ENML and allowing human beings to identify what
was signed by reading the <Reference> elements in the <Signature>
block.  Even though, humans will be unable to cryptographically
verify the <SignedDocuments>, <DocumentSigners> and
<NotaryCertificates> visually, they can at least identify the
specific elements that are covered by the <Signature> element
through the explicit ID values for each element.

With XPath, you run into the problem that different software can
choose any search string and "sign" the result.  Depending on the
XPath library implementation (which may or may not work consistently
with other XPath library implementations), one cannot tell visually
what the <Signature> block refers to in a signed document.

The explicit <Reference> elements leave no doubt about what was
signed.

However, as I stated earlier, the fact that ENML may not contain
XPath search expressions for what was signed, does NOT prevent
software developers from using XPath in their applications, even
when using ENML and/or searching for specific elements within an
ENML document.  The only part of their software that will care
about the <Reference> elements is the XMLSignature library that
verifies the <Signature> element.  And, almost all ENML software
vendors will most likely use the Apache XML Security library; I
don't believe any of the PRIA/MISMO sotware vendors will write
their own XMLSignature library when a free, open-source, reference-
implementation is available from Apache.

I don't believe this is a major issue for programmers; I am more
than happy to talk to anyone that has specific concerns about it.
It is my personal belief that being simple and explicit will help
avoid confusion in courts in the future - but once again, this is
my opionion, which can be over-ridden.

Arshad