Subject: RE: [legalxml-enotary] Groups - May 21, 2009 Technical Committee Minutes (2009_05_21 Minutes of eNotarization TC.doc) modified

Hi John -

Dr. Leff's proposal is for a basic demo of symmetric key example, but we
have reached no decision about it as a TC. DES was discussed simply
because it is older and well-known. I doubt there would be much
controversy about using a different public domain symmetric key cipher
if the TC prefers.

Of course, since the proposal is for a basic demo of ENML, it might make
some sense to stick with DES for purposes of a demo and leave it to
other developers to substitute a more modern symmetric cipher in their
applications.

Sorry we missed you. Hope you'll be available for the next call on
6/18/09.

Regards.

Rolly Chambers

-----Original Message-----
From: John Messing [mailto:jmessing@law-on-line.com]
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2009 11:20 AM
To: mladd@pria.us
Cc: legalxml-enotary@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [legalxml-enotary] Groups - May 21, 2009 Technical
Committee Minutes (2009_05_21 Minutes of eNotarization TC.doc) modified

Comment on the minutes of May 21.

Sorry I was not able to be on the call. I was on a transatlantic flight
yesterday.

With regard to Dr. Leff's proposal, to my understanding DES is a
symmetric encryption algorithm. See
http://en.kioskea.net/contents/crypto/des.php3

It would therefore seem to fall within the symmetric key examples
developed by Arshad for the TC, depending on the details of the
implementation that is undertaken. Given that there are faster more
modern and secure symmetric ciphers such as AES that are in the public
domain, I am curious why DES would be the cipher of choice for the
project.