Subject: FW: [legalxml-courtfiling] ECF 4.0 reference implementation licensing

Rolly,

How would this notice to the ECF TC affect the interoperability
demonstration project that eNotary has been discussing?

Mark Ladd
PRIA Consultant

mladd@pria.us
office:	262-320-4480
cell:	262-498-0850

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary McRae [mailto:mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2009 11:07 PM
To: Cabral, James E.
Cc: legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org; Price, Jim; Embley, Paul
Subject: Re: [legalxml-courtfiling] ECF 4.0 reference implementation
licensing

Hi everyone,

   Just a brief interruption with regard to TCs and reference
implementations. It has long been an underdocumented but enforced rule
that OASIS and its TCs, in their official capacities, do not endorse
or create sole Reference Implementations. It's a work product outside
of the charter of a TC, and would severely limit opportunities created
by a standard for other implementers. Additionally, any and all work
products created by a TC are covered by a single license - that
incorporated as part of the OASIS IPR Policy. No other licenses may be
used.

   That said, we encourage individual members to create proof-of-
concept or exemplar implementations; they just can't be a TC work
product or endorsed by the TC. The TC can certainly mention any such
implementations - such as on the member section home page - as you
would any other related third-party work.

Regards,

Mary

Mary P McRae
Director, Standards Development
Technical Committee Administrator
email: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org
web: www.oasis-open.org
twitter: @fiberartisan  #oasisopen
phone: 1.603.232.9090

Standards are like parachutes: they work best when they're open.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work