legalxml-intj-exmndr message

Subject: Comments on John's latest posting

John, thanks for consolidating comments. Further comments are as follows:

1. Sec 6.3.8 (p. 19 ff), regarding user-defined attributes... this is not something I feel strongly about. I can see the point, how it may hurt interop. It's a SHOULD NOT anyway...so it's ok by me.

2. Sec 6.3.9.1 (p. 23 top), regarding extension vs. document schemas... Putting something in an extension schema increases, rather than decreases, the opportunity for reuse in other documents. A document schema encapsulates the structure of a particular exchange document. For example, document schemas correspond to Document elements in the Information dimension in JIEM. However, several documents could certainly reuse lots of structures from a common extension schema (e.g., in LA County, all PersonType objects have a boolean indicator, to tell whether they have a star on the sidewalk in Hollywood...you'd certainly want to reuse this on the LA incident report, booking report, complaint, etc.) The real driving force here is, when you have multiple global elements defined in a schema, the parser is not able to enforce any particular one of them as the root. That's why we need document schemas. I know the GTRI documentation says you can do it either way, but I think to improve interop we should restrict down the choices.

3. Sec 6.3.9.2 (p. 24 top)...I retract the comment.

4. Sec 6.3.9.4. (p. 26)... My issue was that rule ELD5 seems to be dictating something about GJXDM, which I thought was out of scope. I think the rule should be changed to read "every user-defined simpleType".

5. Sec 6.3.9.5 (p. 26)... So, do we not need this anymore?

6. Sec 6.3.12.2 (p. 35)... The problem with this proposed rule is, it is inconsistent with the proxy architecture in GJXDM (GJXDM schemas have circular dependencies of the kind mentioned here.) It would be awkward if this were inconsistent with rules we put forward for the extension and document schemas. In any case, most robust tools can handle the circular dependencies just fine.

7. Sec 6.3.13 (p. 37)... I guess I'm being picky here...is this rule intended to say "on each user-defined complex type, you have to specify the xsd:final attribute, and set it to true or false as appropriate"? Doesn't this rule simply restate a fact about XML schema? If so, is it of any value in improving interop?

Now I have a ditto comment on the new GXS9.

8. Sec 6.3.18 (p. 39)... Is this really true? If I have a complex type that uses xsd:choice, can I really not extend that type? We need to find something in the schema spec to support this, or else explain really why xsd:choice inherently prevents extension.

9. Sec 6.5.3 (p. 42)... So we are agreed to delete this section then?

10. Sec 6.8 (p. 52)... If we include a "tools in use" section, I would like us to mark it clearly as non-normative. I would also like to include a paragraph that indicates what the criteria are for a tool being "in use". I think we should discuss this issue further on a conference call.

11. Sec 7.1 (p. 53)... I guess I don't see the point of the rule. A proper document schema has only one global element defined within it, so there is no possibility ever to be in violation of the rule.

12. Sec 7.2 (p. 53, rule IND7)... I am ok with including this as information, and taking it out of "rule format."

Thanks.
--Scott

Scott Came
President and Principal Consultant