legalxml-intjustice message

Subject: RE: LegalXML Integ. Justice request for OASIS Board action

John and David,

We need to tell Jamie and Mary by tomorrow if we want to go ahead with
the IPR transition.  If we do, we need to send them a letter seeking an
extension by Friday.  I have attached a similar letter from the
eContracts TC as an example.

Jamie, the latest version of the MNDR specification is at
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/legalxml-intjustice/downloa
d.php/14202/gjxdm-ndr-0.4.pdf.  Please note that the IJ TC co-Chairs are
John Ruegg (not Messing) and David Goodwin.

  jim

-----Original Message-----
From: James Bryce Clark [mailto:jamie.clark@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 3:25 PM
To: legalxml-intjustice@lists.oasis-open.org;
legalxml-sc@lists.oasis-open.org; Patrick Gannon
Cc: Mary McRae; 'John Messing'; dagoodwi@mail.maricopa.gov; Cabral,
James E.

   Hello all.  This confirms our discussion at the LegalXML MS Steering
Committee meeting this morning.
   The leadership of the LegalXML Integrated Justice TC has informed us
that the committee wishes to be permitted to continue to operate after
the 15 April 2007 deadline under our IPR Transition Policy.
The Committee has *approved* a "Transition Request Ballot" under that
policy, although it closed on 9 March 2007. Essentially, the TC wishes
us to commence a Transition Approval Ballot in the minimnum allowed time
of 30 days (approximately 15 April 2007), and asks the Board to suspend
the closure of the TC for 28 days thereafter (so that the ballot can
complete and, if successful, the TC Transition Effective Date may
occur). This waiver requires OASIS Board action under our IPR Transition
Policy.
   In my words, the TC's intent (if it takes this course) is to finish
up the previously unexpected task of issuing Naming & Design Rules for
the current GJDXM model, this Spring.  The committee also anticipates
rechartering during the summer, to address planned changes to the
external GJDXM/NIEM (sp?) project.
   However, the Steering Committee also has reserved the possibility
that the TC's chairs will clarify the TC's intent, in the next 24 hours,
either to:
   (a) seek a short extension such as 30 or 60 days after 15 April, to
be followed by closure and later creation of a new TC;  or
   (b) just hold a committee vote to bless the current NDR as a
Committee Draft now in the month, before April 15, forego an extension,
and resume with a new TC in the Autumn;  or
   (c) create a new TC at this time, sad close the existing TC as
scheduled on 15 April;  or,
   (d) a plan of continuous operation between now and the Autumn.
John & David will let us know this week exactly which alternative is
sought (see action items below).

   As I understand it, the Steering Committee endorsed this request,
conditioned on its being finalized by the TC chairs;  and John Messing &
the TC chairs will collaborate on a finalized letter to be sent to
Patrick Gannon for Board consideration by Friday morning 16 March.
(That target would allow consideration of the request as an action item
by the Board at its March meeting.)

   Open action items are:
   1. John R./Dave G./Jim C. to confirm back to us, by tomorrow (15
March), whether a specific extension or waiver should be sought from our
Board, and whether Mary should start a 30-day transition approval ballot
notice period tomorrow,.
   2. John R./Dave G./Jim C. to draft a request letter, along the
general lines of the letter from the e-Contracts TC appended below [1],
but with appropriately different facts, and send it to Patrick.
   3. Patrick to add to Board agenda.

Separately, would you confirm to me the URI for the committee's most
current working draft for an NDR for the GJDXM 3.x? I do want us to
point correctly to the artifact, in our discussions with people,
whatever its status.

If I missed anything, please reply to the addressees on this message
with a correction.  Thanks.

   Regards  Jamie

~ James Bryce Clark
~ Director of Standards Development, OASIS ~ jamie.clark@oasis-open.org

[background:]
> Subject: Fwd: RE: LegalXML IJ TC IPR Transition
> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:43:54 -0700
> From: James Bryce Clark <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org>
> To: JRuegg@isab.co.la.ca.us,  dagoodwi@mail.maricopa.gov
> CC: Mary McRae <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
>
>     John, the transition mode selection process is a multi-step one:
> It's spelled out in this policy:
>     http://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/ipr_transition_policy.php
> Your TC vote would have only been the first step (called a "Transition

> Request Ballot") in that policy.  We can proceed, but as previously
> advised, the timing is late enough that we may not be able to prevent
> TC closure.  Let's discuss that, and our other conversation about NIEM

> and restarting IJ in the fall, on today's MS Steering Committee call
> if convenient.  regards Jamie

[1][copy of other comparable letter]

IPR-EXTENSION-REQUEST.doc