legalxml-legislative message

Subject: Groups - Bi-Weekly Telephone Conference Call modified

Bi-Weekly Telephone Conference Call has been modified by Donald Bergeron (donald.bergeron@lexisnexis.com).

Date:  Thursday, 03 June 2004
Time:  02:00pm - 03:00pm Eastern Time

Event Description:
OASIS LegalXML Legislative Technical Committee
When:  Thursday, June 3, 2004 @ 2:00-3:00 PM EDST
Conference Dial-in:  512-225-3050
Conference Guest Code:  84759#
Leader: Don Bergeron & Daniel Bennett

Agenda:
Agenda:

- Accept Minutes or Questions for May 20, 2004, May 7, 2004(5 Min)
- Status State & Federal Legislative Electronic
	Document Usage & Capability Survey (10-15 Min)
- Status  Dublin Core Usage Modelling - Protect &
	Document Current Work & Speed up effort 	(10 Min)
	Please send Sam & I any archives you my have or personal
 	working documents you would like to share!
	We have not heard from you! Please work with us on this effort.
- Next Telephone Conference Meeting Targets
	(2 Min)
	OASIS LegalXML Legislative Technical Committee
	When:  June 10,2004 @ 2:00-3:00 PM 	EDST
	Conference Dial-in:  512-225-3050
	Conference Guest Code:  84759#

-Discussion of Face-To-Face (13 Min)

- Targeted Solicitation for Prospective Members(15 Min)(see below)

Regards,

Don Bergeron & Daniel Bennett

APPENDIX B - Community Outreach

Targeted Solicitation:

Good day:

The OASIS LegalXML Legislative Documents Technical Committee is trying to identify the needs of our community, so we can set the correct focus for developing our specifications and deliverables.

There are at least three stakeholder groups in our community: the originators, the distributors, and the end users of legislative content. All of the members in these groups have needs and interests in establishing open standards for legislative content and metadata that support their very different operational requirements. The work of the Legislative Documents TC can support these stakeholders when their needs specifically, those needs that have near-term value are thoughtfully discussed, prioritized and addressed. We ask for your participation in such an effort.

The technical committee is preparing a survey, to be distributed shortly, to understand the current use of metadata, XML, and other structured markup systems (SGML, PDF) across the States and Federal governments. We would appreciate your participating in the survey if appropriate. It will be a key input in helping the TC identify specific business or operational needs that various stakeholders bring to the table where standards in this area could help!

During the next few meetings, I invite you to join this discussion and goal setting. Once this is complete, we shall return to the OASIS rules that only OASIS members may participate in the meetings of the committee. We welcome your participation in the work of the TC!

Some of you may be tempted to go it alone.  However, If we do not coordinate our efforts we will end up competing and diluting the outcome.  OASIS provides a framework and open methodology that can help us create standards that are trusted, adopted and used.

The first step is to identify specific business needs that you bring to the table where standards in this area could help!  Then, you can either participate directly, by joining OASIS LegalXML (here: http://www.oasis-open.org/join/) and helping us set and execute the agenda, or indirectly, by following the TC’s work on the public mailing lists and providing feedback using the public comment forms OASIS provides for all TCs.

Please reply to this email and cc. donald.bergeron@lexisnexis.com and sam.hunting@lexisnexis.com with your thoughts. And please look forward to us to contact you soon to follow up.

Please feel free to forward this to anyone that should be interested in this effort and forward their email, phone number or other contact information, so that I may follow-up.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Regards,

Don Bergeron

Acting Co-Chair OASIS LegalXML Legislative Documents TC

donald.bergeron@lexisnexis.com
O - 937-865-1276

Minutes:
Appendix A - Minutes Review

 -- May 20, 2004
OASIS LegalXML Legislative TC
Meeting Minutes
Date
May 20, 2004
Attending
Daniel Bennett, Co-chair (present)
Don Bergeron, Co-chair (present)
Sam Hunting, Editor (regrets)
Joe Carmel, House of Representatives
Chet Ensign, LexisNexis
Kelly Ray, Price Waterhouse Coopers
Anne Washington, Library of Congress
Aileen Wood, Research Institute of America (RIA)

[Note: Thank you Chet for taking the minutes!]
1) Roll call
2) Minutes review
Reviewing topics discussed at last meeting. - Don will resend the minutes.
3) Status - State & Federal Legislative Electronic Document
Usage & Capability Survey
Sam, Daniel and Ann have reviewed the questionnaire and it is ready to go.
It will be posted on a website and the results will automatically be entered
into a database. We will send notices to all states and would like to get
Louisiana.

Plan now is to notify people next week. Accepted by the folks on the phone.

We will do a checkpoint on the results received at the meeting on June 3rd.
4) Status - Dublin Core Usage Modeling
Don asked the participants to send any documents related to the metadata
modeling to Sam at sam.hunting@lexisnexis.com
> . Sam will consolidate the material into
a single document that we can work from as a starting point.

5) Schedule: Next two Telephone Conference Meeting Targets
Don reviewed the dates and times proposed for the next two meetings: June 3
and June 10, 2:00-3:00 EDST. (The following week, June 17th, is a conflict
for Don, Chet and Sam.) The participants agreed that these dates will work
and agreed to determine the next meeting at the June 3rd conference call.
6) Discussion of Face-To-Face
Discussion of the timing and location for the face-to-face. General
agreement that June is too early. Problems with July/August because of
vacations. Daniel will let us know about his availability last week of July
or last week of August.

Don has discussed having Betty Harvey facilitate the face-to-face meeting.
Also discussion about having Dale Waldt speak to the group. Don asked Aileen
to help him encourage Dale to join the group.

Kelly volunteered to present to the group how PWC is envisioning using the
metadata & document standards to deliver value to the business community,
including deriving business rules from legislative metadata via Web
Services. Group is very interested in that.

Kelly has sent Sam some comments on metadata that would be useful.

7) Discussion on Targeted Solicitation for Prospective Members
Don asks that email addresses be forwarded to him for outreach. Asks if
anyone has had an opportunity to review. Neither Aileen nor Kelly have had
an opportunity to read it through so Don defers discussion until the next
meeting.

8) New business
None.

Minutes submitted May 20, 2004.

Regards,

Don

Donald L. Bergeron
Systems Designer
LexisNexis
donald.bergeron@lexisnexis.com
O 937-865-1276
H 937-748-2775
M 937-672-7781

 -- May 7, 2004

OASIS LEGAL XML - LEGISLATIVE TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
MAY 7, 2004
Attendees:
Dee Schur - OASIS
Eileen Woods - Research Institute of America, Harrisburg, PA
Kelly Ray - PricewaterhouseCoopers, Dallas
Chet Ensign - LexisNexis
Don Bergeron - LexisNexis
Daniel Bennett - Citizen Contact
Sam Hunting - LexisNexis
Michael Aisenberg - Verisign, DC
Jaime Clark - OASIS

[Note: I thank Kelly Ray for taking these minutes! - Don]

OASIS SYMPOSIUM REPORT
200 people attended general session
LegalXML - Core filing, Integrated Justice had meetings with 12-13 in attendance plus conference call

Leadership Discussion - Interim Chair Changes - Framework for
Leadership (10 	Min)
Chet:  Legislative TC has existed for some time, but has not been focused/active.  Don Bergeron will be taking on the role of TC Co-chair. Don Bergeron was chair of LegalXML Steering Committee until last year when whole steering committee turned over.  Sam Hunting becoming active.  Sam has background with standards work. Sam was one of the early participants in the LegalXML Court Filing effort.  Sam understands that we are a private/public partnership.  Sam will be assigned to the TC as Secretary and Editor.

Court Filing TC and Integrated Justice TC operate with co-chair structure.  Tradition is one co-chair is from private sector.  Other co-chair has been a member of the public sector portion of the community.  Believe that this is a good model for this community.  Helps in design and eases adoption and use.  Reaching out to the National Association of State Legislatures and other professional organizations will be a key component of this effort.

Daniel Bennett indicated that he would be willing to step down as a chair once the public chair was found and voted in. He will remain active in the standards effort.

Elections for the co-chairs will occur once the current recruiting drive is complete. Don will stand for election at that time.

Interest & Commitment of Resources - Editor & Secretary (10 Min)
Don:  Sam Hunting will serve in this role.  Sam is calm and has a history of listening.  As editor, he asks probing questions.

OASIS LegalXML Legislative Technical Committee Report to Member
Section (5 Min)
See Appendix A.

State & Federal Legislative Electronic Document Usage & Capability Survey (5 	Min)
Chet:  Dan has developed survey and is having a staff member pre-populate the survey with publicly available information.  Will distribute to the Technical Committee and get feedback.

Dan:  Currently going through the data gathering process.  Ann Washington did great job on ferreting through what information we need to know from the respondents.

Daniel was very sensitive to the community

Dublin Core Usage Modeling - Protect & Document Current Work &
Speed up effort 	(10 Min)
Don:  Difficulty in not having the initial data to use to develop standard.  Daniel’s effort will help seed this initiative.

Need to begin to get a good solid vocabulary.  Sam is going to consolidate material from OASIS email streams into a central document, combine that work with input from the survey, and begin laying out the work product(s).  The committee is considering a workshop (below) on how to fit items into the Dublin Core vocabulary.  Will help us create work-product and help build the community.

Next two Telephone Conference Meeting Targets & Face-2-Face (15 Min)
Want to have teleconferences on an ongoing basis either monthly or bi-weekly.  Prior to face-2-face, have bi-weekly telephone conferences beginning May 20th at least to share information.  Old schedule was Thursday afternoon from 2p.m.-3p.m. Eastern. We will continue this pattern for now.

Face to face to set context for where the TC lives and get hands dirty with getting draft standard out.  What is happening with eGov and how it will relate.  Second day as a workshop.  Get a leader to facilitate through the workshop.  Workshop to be targeted to be within next 2 months in DC.

Message to Technical Committee Members (2 Min)
Anyone who is not a member, send and email to Donald.Bergeron@lexisnexis.com to get meeting notices.  If not a member and have questions, call Don at 937-865-1276.

Michael Eisenberg participates in ABA Information Security Committee and an agenda item for an upcoming meeting is on electronic evidence.  ISC is chaired by Stephen Wu.  Next meeting is May 13/14th in Virginia and New York. Look at Cooley,Godward site -  or  for more info.  John ?? is designated liaison for ABA, but not necessarily tied into ISC.  Dan participated on electronic signature.

Targeted Solicitation for Prospective Members (2 Min)
Will send out email to existing members and target members.

OASIS LegalXML Member Section Meeting Report - Will post URL to the meeting information (1 Min)

Regards,

Don

Donald L. Bergeron
Systems Designer
LexisNexis
donald.bergeron@lexisnexis.com
O 937-865-1276
H 937-748-2775
M 937-672-7781

View event details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/legalxml-legislative/event.php?event_id=5038

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above link does not work for you, your email
application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
browser.