legalxml-ms message

Subject: Re: [legalxml-ms] A bright future for the LegalXML Member Section

Jim,
Three cheers to you and the steering committee!!!
Thank you all for your efforts in this area, and to keep us vital.  It is greatly appreciated.
Robin

Robin Gibson, PMP
Court Automation Manager
Information Technology Services
Office of State Courts Administrator
573-751-4377

From:        James E Cabral <jcabral@mtgmc.com>
To:        "legalxml-ms@lists.oasis-open.org" <legalxml-ms@lists.oasis-open.org>, "legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org" <legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org>
Cc:        "legalxml-sc@lists.oasis-open.org" <legalxml-sc@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        11/18/2011 10:03 AM
Sent by:        <legalxml-ms@lists.oasis-open.org>

LegalXML Member Section,

The previous chair of the LegalXML Member Section Steering Committee, George Knecht, reported to the Member Section in late 2010 that the OASIS Board of Directors had suspended the Steering Committee’s authority to approve future funding expenditures due to concerns about the viability of the Member Section and the lack of an approved spending plan.  Since reconstituting the Member Section Steering Committee, the Steering Committee has made the following progress in mapping out the future for LegalXML:

1. Met monthly (Sep 26, Oct 3, Nov 9) with 100% attendance and elected a chair.  The minutes are available at http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/legalxml-sc/documents.php

2. Considered the options to merge with e-gov or to allow TCs to continue without the LegalXML Member Section.  Both options were rejected as not in the best interest of past, current and future LegalXML TCs.

3. Developed a program for growing the Member Section including proposed charters for 2 new TCs (LegalRuleML, LegalDocumentXML).

4. Approved a spending plan for the remainder of 2011.

5. Proposed a spending plan for 2012 with timelines and probabilities including ideas for 2013.

6. Presented at the Court Technology Conference (CTC) and the RuleML 2011 conference to generate interest in joining OASIS and LegalXML.  (This does not include a presentation at the NIEM National Training Event in August).

7. Started outreach to the ABA and EDRM to generate interest in a new e-discovery TC.

This does not include the progress that the ECF TC has made in the last year towards proposing ECF 4.01 core specification as a candidate OASIS standard or the definition of a scope for ECF 4.1 and beyond at the Oct 3 F2F.

I am very happy to report that, after reviewing the recent progress of the Member Section, the OASIS Board of Directors agreed yesterday to restore the Steering Committee’s spending authority.

Moving forward, I see 3 immediate challenges for the Member Section:

1.       We need to recruit participation in the LegalRuleML and LegalDocumentXML to ensure a successful launch of each TC.

2.       We need to improve future communications across the Member Section and with the rest of OASIS.  As chair of the Steering Committee, I plan to update the Member Section with emails such as this at least quarterly and the Steering Committee will be communicating with the Board regularly.

3.       We need to ensure that there is sufficient representation in the governance of the LegalXML.  While the Steering Committee currently includes only 3 representatives, the attendance at the ECF TC F2F on Oct 3 demonstrates that interest in the future of LegalXML extends well beyond the current representatives.  Once the new LegalXML TCs are launched, it is my hope to add a Steering Committee representative from each of the new TCs to share in the governance planning and decision making.

Now that the issues regarding the authority and direction of the Member Section are resolved, it is my sincere hope that we can all get back to doing what we are here to do - developing and promoting open standards for the legal community.

I appreciate your participation in our common effort.

  Thanks,

James E. Cabral Jr., Senior Manager

MTG Management Consultants, L.L.C.

1111 Third Avenue, Suite 3010

Seattle, Washington 98101-3292

www.mtgmc.com

(206) 442-5010 Phone

(502) 509-4532 Mobile

(206) 442-5011 Fax

jcabral@mtgmc.com

Helping our clients make a difference in the lives of the people they serve.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.