OASIS Members and other interested parties,
We are pleased to announce that Electronic Court Filing Version 5.0 from the LegalXML Electronic Court Filing TC  is now available for public review and comment. This is the second public review for ECF v5.0.
ECF defines a technical architecture and a set of components, operations and message structures for an electronic court filing system, and sets forth rules governing its implementation. Version 5.0 provides a number of enhancements including:
- Support for scheduling of court hearings using WS-Calendar
- Limited electronic service of process to process servers and registered agents
- New Document Stamp and operations support retrieval of case information required for stamping
- New Court Policy MDE to better support electronic filing systems with multiple FilingReview MDEs
- Support for cancellation of filings
- Conformance with the 4.0 version of the National Information Exchange Model (NIEM), a national standard for information sharing, new NIEM domains including Biometrics and Human Services
- Conformance with the NIEM Code Lists specification version 1.0 and the representation of all ECF code lists in Genericode format.
- Conformance with the 2.2 version of the Universal Business Language (UBL).
- Better management of extensions through NIEM augmentations.
- Deprecated content references (e.g. referring to related entities with common identifiers) in favor or element references (e.g. referring to related elements with structures:ref attributes) as described in Reference Rules.
- Clarifications and improvements throughout the specification based on feedback from implementers of the ECF 4.0 and 4.01 specifications.
Version 5.0 does not assume that prior versions will be deprecated. However, it is not backward-compatible and applications using the ECF 3.0, 3.01 and 3.1, 4.0 and 4.01 specifications will not interoperate successfully with applications using this version.
The documents and related files are available here:
Electronic Court Filing Version 5.0
Committee Specification Draft 02 / Public Review Draft 02
09 October 2018
Editable source (Authoritative):
XML schemas and Genericode code lists:
XML example messages:
Model and documentation:
Change Log of ECF Version 4.0 and Version 5.0:
ECF Version 5.0 UML model artifacts:
For your convenience, OASIS provides a complete package of the prose document and any related files in ZIP distribution files. You can download the ZIP file at:
How to Provide Feedback
OASIS and the LegalXML Electronic Court Filing TC value your feedback. We solicit input from developers, users and others, whether OASIS members or not, for the sake of improving the interoperability and quality of its technical work.
The public review starts 18 October 2018 at 00:00 UTC and ends 01 November 2018 at 23:59 UTC.
This specification was previously submitted for public review . This 15-day review is limited in scope to changes made from the previous review. Changes are highlighted in red-lined file included in the package .
Comments may be submitted to the TC by by following the instructions located at:
Feedback submitted by TC non-members for this work and for other work of this TC is publicly archived and can be viewed at:
All comments submitted to OASIS are subject to the OASIS Feedback License, which ensures that the feedback you provide carries the same obligations at least as the obligations of the TC members. In connection with this public review, we call your attention to the OASIS IPR Policy  applicable especially  to the work of this technical committee. All members of the TC should be familiar with this document, which may create obligations regarding the disclosure and availability of a member's patent, copyright, trademark and license rights that read on an approved OASIS specification.
OASIS invites any persons who know of any such claims to disclose these if they may be essential to the implementation of the above specification, so that notice of them may be posted to the notice page for this TC's work.
Additional information about this specification and the ECF TC can be found at the TC's public home page:
========== Additional references:
 OASIS LegalXML Electronic Court Filing TC
Â Previous public review:
- 60-day public review:
- Comment resolution log:
 Red-lined version:
RF on Limited Terms Mode