lexidma message

Subject: Embedding and recursion in dictionaries: preliminary observations

Dear friends,

Action item: Michal MÄchura will look at the schemas of existing dictinaries (those available through Elexis, and others) and try to come with some emprical observations on recursion (and recursion-like things): how prevalent is it, how many levels, what phenomena is it used to model, could those phenomena be modelled using something else, what would be lost or gained in such remodelling? Michal to submit this analysis in time for reactions before next meeting..

I havenât had enough time to do this action item properly yet, as you can see from the fact that I havenât actually sent anything. But I did take a preliminary, informal look at a few entries in a few German, English, Irish and Czech dictionaries, and these are my initial impressions regarding recursion/embeding on senses:

  • I found it more informative to look at how dictionaries are presented on screen (on the web) rather than reading their XML (or whatever) source code.

  • It seems that the more âmodernâ or ârecentâ or âborn-digitalâ a dictionary is (which is difficult to define, I know, but bear with me), the less likely it is to use sense-inside-sense embedding at all. And, if a dictionary does use some form of sense embedding, then the embedding appears to be more formally restricted if the dictionary is relatively âmodernâ. By ârestrictedâ I mean that (for example) the recursion never goes deeper than one level down, or that senses are grouped into âsupersensesâ by part of speech but the âsupersenseâ contains no additional data beside the part-of-speech label.

  • So far I havenât seen a single instance of sense embedding which couldnât be modelled by some other means, such as by the methods mentioned in my notes from our last meeting (sense-to-sense relations, or tags/labels), and where that modelling could not be done automatically (without human intervention). In other words, I havenât seen a single instance of embedding where the sense list couldnât be flattened to just a single level without any noticeable loss of information or understandability or usefulness to the reader/user. In yet other words, I havenât seen a single instance of embedding where the child sense would stop making sense (pardon the pun) if it became disconnected from its mother sense. But, that said, it is possible that if I keep looking I will eventually find some counter-examples â so, consider this a hypothesis, not a conclusion.

I will do my best to write this all up more fully, and to illustrate my points with specific examples, in a more technical report which I will send along by the next meeting. Sorry this is taking me longer than expected but, you know, this is not my day jobâ :-)

Also, it is possible (though not certain) that I will not be able to come to our meeting later on today, due to some conflicing appointments. If I donât turn up please accept my apologies and do not wait for me.

Thanks you,
Michal