lexidma message

Subject: RE: [lexidma] Re: DMLex spec

Hi Michal, I went through the whole text and I do share your excitement. While reading I could put most of the data from the dictionaries I worked on in the last (almost) 30 years into the right slots, but these are much much better organised. Congratulations!

My comments are in the attached file.

Best regards,

Simon

From: lexidma@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:lexidma@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Michal MÄchura
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 6:41 PM
To: lexidma@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [lexidma] Re: DMLex spec

Hi everyone,

So here my latest draft. What's new:

- I have made some tweaks to the pseudocode in which we present examples throughout the document. Consequently, I have made some changes to the formalism through which we define the data model. The distinction between "objects" and "properties" has disappeared, and we now explicitly state the arities and types of everything everywhere (TomaÅ will like that!). I think the whole document is now be easier to understand for readers, even outside our tribe.

- There have been some tiny, almost cosmetic, changes to some names of things.

In other words, this draft doesn't really bring any conceptually new material. Everything in it is based on things we've agreed and consensuses we've built up, so I wouldn't expect any disagreement or surprised reactions at this point. That said, I strongly encourage everyone to read it from start to end now because this is our last chance to catch any problems before we present it publicly at the ELEXIS event in Florence.

With this now, we have created a clean, logical, consistent, simple, IT-friendly, well though-through data model for dictionaries. No-one's every done this before in the history of lexicography. It's taken us a lot of talking and proposing and writing and rewriting to distil our ideas into a single, universally usable data model, but we've done it and the result is really likeable!

(Oh yes, the document is not in DocBook. I'll try to beat it into the DocBook format and submit it as a proper pull request through GitHub by Monday.)

M.