math-optimize-discuss message

Subject: Alan King Suggestion on Solver and Modeling Languge Interfaces

Hi:

I agree totally that the TC should address standards for interfaces
between modeling languages and solvers.  A standard for representing a
problem instance should be tied to a standard for solver APIs. For
example, if a solver API wants constraints expressed with upper and
lower bounds, it makes little sense to represent a problem instance
constraint with a single right hand side and then a <=, >=, or =
depending on the type of constraint. Obviously the conversion can be
made in a software library, but it is extra work. Indeed, when my
colleagues (Bob Fourer and Leo Lopes) and I designed our schema for
linear programming we looked at the IBM/COIN OSI and LINDO API so that
our data structures would be reasonably compatible. There is chicken and
egg problem here of which comes first.  Specifying an API for solvers
and modeling languages will have a huge impact on the best way to
represent problem instances. The converse is also true. I think the COIN
OSI is a good place to start for a solver API.

The data issue is an important one I would like to address in a
different thread.

The more I think about this, the more I think the TC should just focus
on LP and IP at first.
--
Kipp Martin
Professor of Operations Research