Dear OASIS members,
In September, we shared policy changes being considered by the Board of Directors and asked for your comments. Our thanks to everyone who took the time to offer feedback.
The changes have now been published on the policies page (https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/
) and become effective tomorrow, 01 December 2020.
As a reminder, here is a list of the major changes:
* We changed pronouns to be gender-neutral throughout.
* We simplified the work product workflow. (A separate communication will be forthcoming describing these changes.)
Going forward, we have eliminated the confusing and duplicative Committee Specification Public Review Drafts and the Candidate OASIS Standards. Your group will now produce Committee Specification Drafts. Public reviews will be done on the CSDs and, after you have approved Committee or Project Specifications, the CS or PS will be put forward for the 60-day public review preceding the Call for Consent as OASIS Standard. We hope this will address long-standing confusion over the conflicting numbering schemes as well as eliminate unnecessary duplication of publications.
* We modified the rules on handling content post-approval to allow TC Administration to work with the editors to correct minor problems such as broken hypertext links discovered during publishing. We agree that it is to everyone's advantage to put forward the highest quality work from our projects. We hope you will take advantage of this to fix those niggling glitches that we come across during preparation of your work.
* We added a new section 1.10 to the TC Process titled "TC Vitality." TCs will now be asked to review and confirm (or modify) their charter once every four years.
* We added a requirement to Committee Process section 1.4 Chairs that every two years, a committee must reappoint its chairs. Sitting chairs are allowed to stand but must be reconfirmed by committee vote.
in addition, we made some minor changes:
* We clarified the requirement that meeting minutes must be posted to the TC's general email list. We hope this will help eliminate the hiccups when TC Admin has to postpone working on a support request until the minutes are sent to the mail list.
* We removed a discrepancy between the definitions of Material and Non-Material changes.
* We clarified an ambiguity about how a Member gains voting rights during a 60 day period if less than 2 meetings are held.
* We shortened and simplified the Leave of Absence policy. Now, a first LoA request is considered automatically approved.
* We clarified that changing employers does not change a member's voting rights or other status within a committee.
* We clarified that a TC can use the electronic ballot tool to record votes during a TC meeting.
* We changed references from normative / non-normative to normative and informative to be more in line with other SDO practice.
Again, thank you for your time & feedback. Please feel free to send any questions or comments to me or to any staff or members of the Board of Directors.Â
Chief Technical Community Steward