mgmtprotocol message

Subject: [mgmtprotocol] Requirements w/attachment

All,

Last week we discussed the requirements for the new management protocol. Here is a consolidated list of the requirements so far. (Thank you Andreas.)

Please send yours so that we may add it to the this list before Wednesday's call.

I will be sending out the agenda shortly.

Thanks,
Winston

Title: Management Protocol Technical Committee

Management Protocol Technical Committee

Requirements List as of 08/19/2002

“Copyright (C) OASIS Open (2002). All Rights Reserved”

1. Focus on using web services to interface to CIMOM (as opposed to managing web services themselves which we could do in addition).

2. Use WSDL to describe the interface to the web services, as opposed to just supporting a SOAP protocol. This means the elements of the CIM meta model (classes, properties, etc) need to be mapped to WSDL elements.

3. Make sure that no capabilities of the CIM meta model and CIM operations get lost on the way (particularly inheritance, associations, query language and indications).

4. Make sure that what we do will scale up to large number of CIM instances (e.g. >10000 per class).

5. The specification needs to be completely agnostic to any specific CIM schema / model. That means any future schema / model would need to be supported automatically.

6. We should do the specification in such a way that any code that implements the specification can be as schema/model agnostic as possible.

7. We will need to support future versions of the CIM operations. Example (not entirely out of the air because I have a CR pending on that): The Associators operation gets an additional argument specifying a query string to be applied to the target side objects. I suspect there are changes to CIM operations that require new versions of our specification. This again brings up the question how versions of our spec are synchronized with versions of CIM operations specs. Probably some procedural mechanism needs to be established.