mgmtprotocol message

Subject: [mgmtprotocol] WS-mgmt Requirements

Title: Requirements...

I would second the notion that the TC needs to explicitly separate the issues and needs of “management using web-services” (using SOAP, WSDL, etc.) [ I will call it “management foundation protocol” in this email] and “management of Web Services”.  A simplistic view of “web-service management” is that it is just a use-case (albeit very important) of the yet-undefined “management foundation protocol”.

As a use-case for the “management foundation protocol”, management of Web Services throws in a whole bunch of requirements, as gathered from a number of customer interactions that we have had at Corporate Oxygen:

-          Eat own dog-food:

o        The need to model all management protocol interactions over SOAP & WSDL

o        Use of XML for the data models

o        Transport protocol should be https for b2b, but otherwise should be transport agnostic

-          No forklift:

o        Co-exist with existing management infrastructure

o        Interoperate bi-directionally with existing management solutions in enterprise

-          Operational monitoring is only a small piece of management

o        Requires visibility into dependent components (such as services, process, servers, java component, .NET application, etc.)

o        Monitoring is not just operational data; need models of businesses

o        Performance monitoring

o        Business activity monitoring

-          Articulate how web-service management relates to all the other web-service standards

o        WS-routing and WS-referral

o        WS-security and SAML

o        UDDI

In addition, customers have the implicit assumptions that the foundation protocols are end-to-end secure (not just at transport level), support management at development/testing/deployment time, and can be deployed in a federated manner.

I think the “management foundation protocol” should leverage the learnings of the many person-years put into CIM/WBEM, while a subset of the participants (either in a separate sub-committee or otherwise) should focus on using this protocol to model the management of web-services.

Sekhar Sarukkai,
CTO
Corporate Oxygen

ssarukkai@coxygen.com