mqtt-comment message

Subject: CONNACK Return Codes

Hello,

I am new to the list, but I was wondering what the procedure was for suggesting new return codes for the CONNACK packet.

I work for Adafruit on a project called Adafruit IO, and we currently are seeing issues in production with clients that auto-reconnect rapidly with bad credentials. We have implemented a connect throttle & ban list to help combat this issue.

It would be helpful to report throttling or bans to the user with the CONNACK packet so they know why connection attempts are failing.

We are considering implementing these custom codes in addition to codes 1-5 listed in MQTT v3.1.1:
Would it be possible to add CONNACK throttle & ban return codes to the official MQTT specification?

Thanks,
-Todd

todd treece
uniontownlabs.org