mqtt-comment message

Subject: Re: [mqtt-comment] MQTT 5.0 WD13 - CONNECT Response

1. The statement in section 3.1.4 should certainly refer to a CONNACK rather than a DISCONNECT. I will fix this as an editorial issue.

2. There was a lot of discussion in the MQTT TC about will messages and ClientID stealing. We also added the support for Will Delay to deal with some of this. After much discussion the consensus is that the will message must be sent when a session ends or when the will delay interval has passed after the connection closes (whichever happens sooner) unless the connection is closed with a DISCONNECT of rc=0. Thus if the new connection has CleanStart=0 and the exiting connection had a Will Delay > 0 then the will message is not sent, but in this case you really do get session takeover. If the new connection has CleanStart=1 then the new connection causes the existing session to be ended, and a new session created with the same ClientID. This is not session takeover but session replacement.

The understanding is that other than adding the Will Delay this function is unchanged from MQTT v3.1.1 but that we added explicit statements about how this works in an attempt to clarify exactly how it behaves.

I do not think there is much desire in the MQTT TC to reopen this issue, but I will raise this as an issue to the TC if you see it as very important.

Ken Borgendale -- kwb@us.ibm.com
MQTT TC - Editor