mqtt-comment message

Subject: Restrict special characters in username/client id

Hello,

Mosquitto has the ability to control topic access based on
username/client id. This has lead to a vulnerability report
CVE-2017-7650 which allows clients using e.g. '#' as their username to
gain access to resources they are not allowed.

I'd like to suggest that usernames and client ids are restricted so
that they may not contain a +,# or / to work against this kind of
exploit. Even without there being a security issue, clients with a +
or # in their username/client id would not be able to publish to a
topic related to their username/client id.

I know that at the moment the client id is only required to consist of
a-zA-Z0-9, but I'd like to see these restrictions explicitly.

Regards,

Roger