mqtt-comment message

Subject: Re: [mqtt-comment] application layer

The goal of MQTTv5.0 is to enhance the protocol to enable new uses while maintaining the core values and compatibility with earlier versions of MQTT. This is not a desire to define an application layer, but to enable applications by adding abilities within the transport layer. While we define properties for request/response and user properties, the spec only says how to encode these properties. The only requirements on the server for these properties is to validate that they are UTF-8 strings, and to forward them to the subscribing client. The concepts of how request/response and server redirection work is in non-normative text.

One example of the use of user properties is for enhanced routing where the single topic name is not enough information. The application could encode this in the payload, but this causes problems for complex routing between the sender and receiver, especially when the payload is encrypted. Thus the very examples you give are the ones best served by these new capabilities. Note that in almost all cases, the other protocols the application uses also have the ability to pass metadata in similar ways (properties in JMS, WMQ, and AMQP, headers in HTTP). An application which does not need this externalized data can put all of its information into the payload.

My own experience in creating both full function servers and clients, and also limited use clients, is that the added complexity is not that significant in any of these cases.

If you do not want any of these new facilities, the existing MQTTv3.1.1 is likely to continue to be supported. However, I believe that applications will see the value in the enhanced error handling, and in things like the ability to tag the payload with a content type, and move to MQTTv5.0.

Ken Borgendale -- kwb@us.ibm.com