mqtt-comment message

Subject: Re: [mqtt-comment] Lifetime of topic alias map

Hi Takatoshi,

The key point is this section from the specification, which you did highlight:

Topic Alias mappings exist only within a Network Connection and last
only for the lifetime of that Network Connection. A receiver MUST NOT
carry forward any Topic Alias mappings from one Network Connection to
another [MQTT-3.3.2-7].

You ask about the following scenario:

5. Disconnect between the client and the broker. Broker clears the map here.
6. Client connects to the broker with CleanStart: false
SessionExpiryInterval=0xfffffffff(infinity)
7. Client publishes empty topic  with TopicAlias: 1, QoS: 1,
PacketId:2 (PUBACK PacketId: 2 is not received so resend step 3
message)

In this scenario, the client does not conform to the specification
because it has kept its topic alias mapping beyond the life of the
network connection. As soon as it disconnected, the mapping should
have been deleted.

If a client does send a PUBLISH message with an empty topic and a
topic alias set, but there is no mapping for this topic alias, as
above, then this part of section 3.3.4 applies:

3)    If the receiver does not already have a mapping for this Topic Alias
 a)    If the packet has a zero length Topic Name field it is a
Protocol Error and the receiver uses DISCONNECT with Reason Code of
0x82 (Protocol Error) as described in section 4.13.

Regards,

Roger