mqtt message

Subject: MQTT Jan 2016 workshop high level summary

Hi all,

Many thanks to everyone who participated (in person, in the soaphub and on the phone) at this week's MQTT face-to-face workshop - we maintained quorum throughout!
In just 2.5 days the workshop achieved a huge amount: it would have taken months of TC calls to make equivalent progress.

You'll have seen lots of activity in the soaphub and various documents being uploaded. This email provides a high-level summary to help pull it all together.

Key points:

1. Undertook a deep dive into our 'top ten' Jira issues. This took the bulk of the time but was hugely beneficial in getting everyone in sync with the motivation, spirit and scope of each area. > https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/mqtt/download.php/56864/MQTT_TC_orderedJirasFromPoll.pdf <. The issue owners will update their documents to reflect the progress made.
2. The group agreed a scope of "If we aim to deliver a MQTT v.next CSD01 in 2016, what could we do?"
3. Completed review of all Jira issues that received zero votes in the issue original selection ballot > https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/mqtt/ballot.php?id=2876 <. This exercise forced the group to evaluate "is this covered elsewhere now we know more?" and if not, "what would it mean not to progress further?"
4. Undertook review of all Jira issues that received at least some votes, but fall outside of the top ten set i.e., consider should it be in or out assuming the scope outlined in (2)?

The workgroup was then able to create a set of input Jira (draft scope) for an MQTT v.next > https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/mqtt/download.php/57430/Workshop_day1_JiraCoverage_reviewedAtJan1016F2F.odt < where, Green = candidate 'in scope' for a spec update, Grey = candidate 'out of scope' for a spec update, Blue = candidate for a Committee Note. Note: there is some overlap in the 'green set' where 19 would be the upper limit.
Note: Jira owners will now go ahead and update the Jiras reviewed (where necessary).

5. Explored version and naming options for an MQTT v.next. The group arrived at a candidate version of MQTT v5 (aligning external version with internal version)

Note: the direction outlined is representative of the face-to-face workgroup, but subject to TC approval.

Day by day detailed overview:

Day 1 Kick-off material > https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/mqtt/download.php/57403/MQTT_Jan16_face2face_kickoff.pdf <
Day 1 Minutes (inc. workshop and TC call) > https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/mqtt/download.php/57420/MQTT_Jan2016_Workshop_minutes_27012016.odt <

Day 2 Kick-off material > https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/mqtt/download.php/57421/MQTT_Jan16_face2face_Day2_Intro.odp <
Day 2 Minutes (inc. workshop and TC call) > https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/mqtt/download.php/57425/MQTT_Jan2016_Workshop_minutes_28012016.odt <

Day 3 Kick-off material > https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/mqtt/download.php/57428/MQTT_Jan16_face2face_Day3_Intro_final.odp <
Day 3 Minutes (inc. workshop and TC call) > https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/mqtt/download.php/57431/MQTT_Jan2016_Workshop_minutes_29012016.odt <

Note: the daily minutes include links to various other uploaded documents and individual Jira issues.

Best regards

Richard