mqtt message

Subject: Optional values

I started a list of optional values based on the current set of JIRAs. Of course we might not implement all of these, and we might find some more. However, this is the sort of list we are looking at if we implement everything currently out there.

I would prefer to assign the IDs in ranges based on the types. This makes it easier for the parsing code. The current types appear to be a int8, int16, int32, string, and binary where the later two are an int16 len followed by that number of bytes. All of the integer values seem to be unsigned. These values are somewhat spread out across these types, and even the most common type only has seven items.

It would be good to settle now on how we assign the values to make it easier to add them as we put the JIRAs into the working draft.

As these are in the form id=value I think it would be better to call them fields rather than values as in common usage value is the part not including the id.

TypeNamePackets
uint8Message formatPUBLISH
uint8Max QoSCONNACK
uint8Retain supportedCONNACK
uint8Shared subs supportedCONNACK
uint8Persistent sessionsCONNACK
uint8Will QoSCONNECT
uint8Will RetainCONNECT
uint16Max InflightCONNECT, CONNACK
uint16Server keepaliveCONNACK
uint16Will delayCONNACK, DISCONNECT
uint32Message expirePUBLISH
uint32Session expireCONNACK, DISCONNECT
uint32Correlation PUBLISH
uint32Max message lengthCONNECT, CONNACK
uint32Mex message rateCONNECT, CONNACK
StringUsernameCONNECT
String AuthMethodCONNECT, CONNACK
String Generated ClientIDCONNACK
StringReplyToPUBLISH
StringReason stringCONNECT, CONNACK, PUBACK, PUBREC, PUBCOMP, SUBACK, UNSUBACK, DISCONNECT
String Will topicCONNECT
BytesAuthDataCONNECT, CONNACK
BytesWill messageCONNECT
BytesUser dataCONNECT, CONNACK, PUBLISH

Ken Borgendale -- kwb@us.ibm.com 1-207-805-6708 1-207-371-8082
Senior Programmer -- IBM MessageSight and Watson IoT Platform - Architect