mqtt message

Subject: Proposal to develop MQTT over QUIC spec

hi all,

I am writing this email asking for your support to start the discussion the MQTT over QUIC specification in TC.

EMQX has been working in this area for years, we have tried different approaches, measuring performance, gathering feedbacks from the different customers, and now we have drafted a spec to share.

The spec is still in early stage, some details needed to be defined and we haven't done for all the implementation yet but there is one thing that is very clear:

To utilize all the features QUIC provides and make a PUB/SUB protocol that can take today's challenge, we could not simply extend MQTT5.0 spec.

The key improvements are:

  • Add support for unreliable delivery, make QoS 0 true "fire and forget".
  • Message delivery could be cancelled without reconnecting.
  • The Broker/Server should able to initiate data flow to the client within QUIC connection.
  • Session is spanned to lightweight flows within the same connection. Flow control/prioritization could be achieved on these flows.
  • Failure could be isolated within the flow (QUIC stream) which will not cause disconnecion.
  • Separate control/data flow, be more robust and mitigate HOL blocking.
  • Co-exist with other protocol (like HTTP, HTTP/3 public/private) within the same QUIC connection.

I have discussed with Richard, Chet and Kelly ahead and decided to send this email to this TC mailing list for attention so that we could decide what will be the next move.

Your feedback will be appreciated and I will be very happy to have an intro meeting with you to describe the background, the new features and scope of the changes.

I also have a WIP spec that I want to share with you, it is far from complete but at least it has a defined scope for the work, maybe we could decide how we proceed this in the next TC meeting.

William Yang

Software developer | EMQ Technologies Co., Ltd.

Mobile: +46725298084

Site: www.emqx.io

Email: william.yang@emqx.io