oasis-board-comment message

Subject: RE: [oasis-board-comment] Policy of removal of members who do not respond to email

Nick,

We've instituted an additional step of confirming departure of employees
whose mail bounces, to ascertain if we can better systemically handle
members whose email bounces.

To clarify, we do not react to a single mail bounce.  The mail server
automatically identifies "bad addresses" by analyzing a series of and
frequency of bounce messages.  If the system sees a potentially bad address,
it pings the address several times with probe messages--if any are
delivered, the "counter" is reset. Lastly, when we deactivate an account we
send the "good-bye" message from a non list server (to distinguish list mail
filter problems) and reach out to other employees--as you saw.

We are now reaching out to the Primary or other employees before we
deactivate the account.

If you have any better suggestions how we might discern members whose mail
is undeliverable from members whose mail bounces are "permanent", I'd be
interested to hear.  We know the system is imperfect, but we've yet to
identify a better one.

Lastly, and FWIW, I checked a few of the bounce messages--they were because
your mailbox was full.  You might want to check with any other regular mail
you get, as they would have also received those bounces, but may have
allowed your account to fail silently.

All the best,

Scott...